And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 29, 2009, 04:11:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 03:56:32 PM
Ok, I just realised one previously unexplored angle in this all, and it really made my blood boil (if you know me well, you can guess what that usually involves ;)).

They are comparing this to Oscar Wilde.

How motherfucking dare they!

They are essentially taking a long term, loving, affectionate consensual relationship between two adult gay men and comparing it to a one-night-stand child rape case?! Fuck you. Seriously.  :mad:

Fuck you. She loved gays. :D

Jaron

Betty White isn't dead. :P Are you thinking of Estelle Getty?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 04:12:44 PM
Betty White isn't dead. :P Are you thinking of Estelle Getty?
Oh possibly. But either way, she is one of the Golden Girls, isn't she? They are all honorary fag hags. :P

Jaron

CountDeMoney

QuoteStill, many others continued to rally to the Oscar-winning director's defense.

Film industry leaders like Woody Allen,

Oh, now that's rich.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 29, 2009, 01:58:33 PM
The flight carries max 1 year.

The sentencing on the original conviction is up in the air.  Presumably Polanski will get the opportunity to pursue his bias claim re the now dead original judge.

From what I've read, the "bias" issue stems on the ex parte discussions of the judge at the time and the prosecutor;  apparently it's a long shot to dismiss charges based solely on ex parte discussions of 2/3rds of the party, particularly AFTER the plea agreement.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 04:11:23 PM
I really hate to say it but this is a serious self-induced implosion of moral authority by a considerable part of the European and American artistic community.

I think you've managed to do a fine job on your own self-induced implosion over the course of this thread.  :P

Jaron

I just hope if we manage to bring his perverted old ass back to the US he doesn't get some little slap on the wrist because of his status and sent free. I bet he doesn't get any real jail time though.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2009, 05:18:07 PM

The sentencing on the original conviction is up in the air.  Presumably Polanski will get the opportunity to pursue his bias claim re the now dead original judge.

From what I've read, the "bias" issue stems on the ex parte discussions of the judge at the time and the prosecutor;  apparently it's a long shot to dismiss charges based solely on ex parte discussions of 2/3rds of the party, particularly AFTER the plea agreement.

Usually you argue bias if you're trying to get the judge thrown off the case.  I'm not sure how much utility these is in playing the bias card when the judge is already dead.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2009, 05:24:41 PM
Usually you argue bias if you're trying to get the judge thrown off the case.  I'm not sure how much utility these is in playing the bias card when the judge is already dead.

I know, but everybody in the pro-Polanski camp has been talking "judicial malfeasance", etc., during the original case and it all stems from the judge "possibly" reneging on the plea agreement.

CountDeMoney

I've read most of this thread, but in case it's never been posted:

The victim's grand jury testimony transcript:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0610081polanski1.html

The plea agreement transcript:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0928091polanskiplea1.html

The probation report, detailing the forensics of the rape victim:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1203081roman1.html

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 29, 2009, 05:22:27 PM
I just hope if we manage to bring his perverted old ass back to the US he doesn't get some little slap on the wrist because of his status and sent free. I bet he doesn't get any real jail time though.

He can bunk with Robert Blake.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 03:56:32 PM
Ok, I just realised one previously unexplored angle in this all, and it really made my blood boil (if you know me well, you can guess what that usually involves ;)).

They are comparing this to Oscar Wilde.

How motherfucking dare they!

They are essentially taking a long term, loving, affectionate consensual relationship between two adult gay men and comparing it to a one-night-stand child rape case?! Fuck you. Seriously.  :mad:
Both are sex crimes.  Your only hope is to support my Sex Crime Abolition Bill.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2009, 05:24:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2009, 05:18:07 PM

Assuming the bias card goes no where, what happens to the plea agreement? Would a judge respect the agreement, or be likely to be much more harsh because of flight.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014