Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 27, 2009, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 11:03:52 AM
This is retarded to arrest someone on a 30-year-old warrant, perhaps with the exception of stuff like genocide or war crimes. In fact, I don't think that would be even legal in Poland.

So in Poland you can split the country before sentencing for rape, and then after the a certain period of time it is considered water under the bridge and you can't be arrested anymore? Fascinating--what is the typical time limit on this sort of thing? Can you get away with murder and other serious crimes through this method as well?
It's 30 years for murder, 10-20 for other felonies, depending on the type, 5 for misdemeanor. This then gets prolonged (between 5 and 10 years, depending on a type of crime) if during that period proceedings against a person are started.

Only crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide do not get treated that way. Also for crimes committed by the communist regime, this does not start running until communism ended.

I am surprised by your surprise, to be honest. We got this idea from Germany and France. In fact, I think Anglosaxon legal systems are quite unique in not having this kind of statute of limitations (at least in the West).

Are you a lawyer (I forgot). Judging from the surprise some of you guys often express at pretty universal civil law systems' institutions, it looks like you guys get no comparative legal studies at your law school at all.  :huh:

I'm not a lawyer.

We do have a statute of limitations, but there is a difference between starting a fresh trial, and having a resolution of guilt and fleeing before sentencing. Based on what you posted, I could gun down a kindergarten at 20, get convicted, escape before sentencing, live in Argentina until 50, and then return to Poland a free man without consequences. If that is really the case, I think our system is significantly superior.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 27, 2009, 01:09:23 PM
This is retarded to arrest someone on a 30-year-old warrant, perhaps with the exception of stuff like genocide or war crimes. In fact, I don't think that would be even legal in Poland.

So in Poland you can split the country before sentencing for rape, and then after the a certain period of time it is considered water under the bridge and you can't be arrested anymore? Fascinating--what is the typical time limit on this sort of thing? Can you get away with murder and other serious crimes through this method as well?
It's 30 years for murder, 10-20 for other felonies, depending on the type, 5 for misdemeanor. This then gets prolonged (between 5 and 10 years, depending on a type of crime) if during that period proceedings against a person are started.

Only crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide do not get treated that way. Also for crimes committed by the communist regime, this does not start running until communism ended.

I am surprised by your surprise, to be honest. We got this idea from Germany and France. In fact, I think Anglosaxon legal systems are quite unique in not having this kind of statute of limitations (at least in the West).

Are you a lawyer (I forgot). Judging from the surprise some of you guys often express at pretty universal civil law systems' institutions, it looks like you guys get no comparative legal studies at your law school at all.  :huh:

I'm not a lawyer.

We do have a statute of limitations, but there is a difference between starting a fresh trial, and having a resolution of guilt and fleeing before sentencing. Based on what you posted, I could gun down a kindergarten at 20, get convicted, escape before sentencing, live in Argentina until 50, and then return to Poland a free man without consequences. If that is really the case, I think our system is significantly superior.
Oh that's different. You asked about fleeing before trial/sentence (which is the case here with Polanski). Obviously, these rules do not apply to escaped convicts. :D

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 01:12:35 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 27, 2009, 01:09:23 PM

I'm not a lawyer.

Oh that's different. You asked about fleeing before trial/sentence (which is the case here with Polanski). Obviously, these rules do not apply to escaped convicts. :D

I thought he pleaded guilty--which effectively waived any purpose of a trial only leaving the sentencing. I couldn't imagine that would make any difference as to whether someone gets to be free after spending a certain period of time elluding the authorities.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

merithyn

Then your outrage is misplace. Polanski pled guilty and escaped prior to serving his term.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2009, 10:17:17 AM
Quote from: Sahib on September 27, 2009, 10:09:16 AM
I guess USA doesn't have more recent and serious crime to care about, as they seems to have spent a lot of time and effort to snatch him up  :rolleyes:

Oddly, Polanski had been several times to Switzerland after he fled the U.S., but never had trouble with the police before.

The past 12 months have seen the collapse of any independent Swiss resolve, and they are increasingly doing whatever we want. See: UBS.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on September 27, 2009, 01:19:11 PM

Then your outrage is misplace. Polanski pled guilty and escaped prior to serving his term.

I think he screwed up his Plea Bargain when he did that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Good.

Let no man think he can escape justice.

Mr. Polanski, you are NO Roman. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Agelastus

I always found it amusing how many American actors were quite happy to work with a man who was on the run from their own country's justice system.

As for jail-time, I don't think they ever got round to sentencing him 30 years ago, and don't you get time added on for running like he did. It would be ironic if he spent longer in jail because he ran than for the crime itself.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Agelastus on September 27, 2009, 04:23:29 PM
I always found it amusing how many American actors were quite happy to work with a man who was on the run from their own country's justice system.

I find it amusing how many American actors do blow.

Agelastus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2009, 04:31:15 PM

I must say, you have been in fine form with the crisp one liners recently. :)

By the way, any chance of finally getting that apology that you owe me relating to the Trivia thread on the old Languish board?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Jaron

Quote from: Agelastus on September 27, 2009, 04:33:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2009, 04:31:15 PM

I must say, you have been in fine form with the crisp one liners recently. :)

By the way, any chance of finally getting that apology that you owe me relating to the Trivia thread on the old Languish board?

Get in line, buddy.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

No.  Even if I could remember that, it'd still be a fuck no.

You're lucky you're even posting here, what with that Timmay anime avatar.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2009, 04:39:51 PM
Get in line, buddy.

Speaking of avatars, yours sucks as well.  Everyone knows the straight guy in it just hasn't had a chance to suck cock yet.

Agelastus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2009, 04:40:51 PM

As expected, but I thought I'd give it another shot.

"Timmay" anime avatar...I am not worthy in myself... :cry:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Caliga

He's referring to the time you posted a very obscure history trivia question and he responded in detail like ten seconds later, and you accused him of Googling it.

Agelastus, the thing is that this is not an uncommon accusation in the trivia thread... I accused Viking of it (half-jokingly) last week because of the way he answered a question.  I don't think he got very upset about it, just mildly annoyed. -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points