News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scissors, Paper.... Oh never mind.

Started by Armyknife, September 26, 2009, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

As an aside, the above is why you cannot buy spoons or scissors in local branches of the Co-op, as I found out a few months ago.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on September 26, 2009, 08:19:01 PM
Since (and I kid you not) in some stores, if you look too young, you need an ID card that proves you are 21 (or possibly even 25 by now) in order to be able to buy spoons (due to there possible use as a weapon) I can well believe it - scissors have been classed as a potential offensive weapon in some shops for years.
Dunno about spoons as weapons, but if run-on sentences can be weapons, this one is a 10kt nuke.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on September 26, 2009, 08:53:30 PM
Since (and I kid you not) in some stores, if you look too young, you need an ID card that proves you are 21 (or possibly even 25 by now) in order to be able to buy spoons (due to there possible use as a weapon) I can well believe it - scissors have been classed as a potential offensive weapon in some shops for years.
Dunno about spoons as weapons, but if run-on sentences can be weapons, this one is a 10kt nuke.

Only 10kt? I shall have to try harder in future. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: sbr on September 26, 2009, 08:09:11 PM
Are there more libraries than stores that sell scissors?

The amusing thing is that despite stores requiring this card, even if spoons are classed with knives, it is still legal to buy them at 18...

I had figured that the problem was that, being as this happened in the UK, you have pay a special scissors tax to get a scissors license, and the cost of the license was prohititive for small businesses.  :D

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on September 26, 2009, 08:55:04 PM
Only 10kt? I shall have to try harder in future. :(
It had megaton-level clauses but not megaton-level length.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on September 26, 2009, 08:53:30 PM
:lmfao:

Martinus

I think they missed a very important threat. Millions of pages of paper. Massive potential for a paper cut massacre. :o

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on September 26, 2009, 08:16:51 PM
I have to say that I think this is really about one of those crazy ladies that goes around tormenting public institutions.
She is 26. Isn't "crazy lady" a more appropriate term for an elderly woman?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Strix

Quote from: Maximus on September 26, 2009, 05:29:50 PM
Quote from: Armyknife on September 26, 2009, 05:24:59 PM
"I then asked to borrow a guillotine to cut up my leaflets but she refused again - because she said I could hit her over the head with it!"
:unsure: Not the first thing I would think of doing with a guillotine.

I think she was referring to what we call a paper cutter in the US. You find them in most classrooms and offices i.e. the flatboard with the big blade used to cut the paper on an exact edge in large quantities.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on September 26, 2009, 08:09:11 PM
Are there more libraries than stores that sell scissors?

The amusing thing is that despite stores requiring this card, even if spoons are classed with knives, it is still legal to buy them at 18...
What has happened to English liberty? :weep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 27, 2009, 11:03:30 AM
What has happened to English liberty? :weep:

You have to do the same for spray paint in New York City. Oh noes!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Yes, the fear of showing ID necessitates that one visit 3 other libraries with the same request. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 05:12:13 AM
She is 26. Isn't "crazy lady" a more appropriate term for an elderly woman?

You can use "crazy lady" to describe crazy women of any age.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2009, 11:42:48 AM
Yes, the fear of showing ID necessitates that one visit 3 other libraries with the same request. :rolleyes:

I would guess that she was trying to prove a point by then. I'd go to another library, too, trying to find out if it's a policy across the board, or simply that first librarian's paranoia. After the second, though, I'd have just asked and then gone and gotten my own damn scissors. <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...