And we're back!

Main Menu

Scissors, Paper.... Oh never mind.

Started by Armyknife, September 26, 2009, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armyknife

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8276243.stm

QuoteLibrary 'scissor ban' is 'absurd'

A north London council has apologised after a woman was refused the loan of a pair of scissors in a library because she "might stab a member of staff".

Lorna Watts, 26, a self-employed dressmaker, was turned down at Holborn Library in central London.

She said: "It's ridiculous - public libraries are supposed to be supportive of small businesses."

A spokeswoman for Camden Council, which runs the library, has apologised and said it would investigate the incident.

Ms Watts, from Islington, north London, said: "I asked why I couldn't borrow a pair of scissors and she said, 'they are sharp, you might stab me'.

"I then asked to borrow a guillotine to cut up my leaflets but she refused again - because she said I could hit her over the head with it!"

'Absurd' policy

She added: "It's absurd - there are plenty of heavy books I could have hit her with if I wanted to.

"I hardly look very threatening - it's really sad she could not make a commonsense judgement."

The businesswoman then visited another three libraries in north London but her request was rejected in each of them.

A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said there was no policy in place on lending sharp implements.

"People know their own workplaces and must carry out their own risk assessments", she said.

"But we do ask workplaces to take a common sense approach.

"This could be a case of someone misinterpreting the rules."

A Camden Council spokeswoman said: "We are sorry we have not reached our usual high standards. We will investigate fully as soon as possible."

Presumably they wouldn't have lent her a rock if they had one.

In their world paper always wins.  :rolleyes:

edit:
On second thoughts maybe she was stoned ?  :cool:

Maximus

Quote from: Armyknife on September 26, 2009, 05:24:59 PM
"I then asked to borrow a guillotine to cut up my leaflets but she refused again - because she said I could hit her over the head with it!"
:unsure: Not the first thing I would think of doing with a guillotine.

Cerr

Quote from: Armyknife on September 26, 2009, 05:24:59 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8276243.stm

QuoteLibrary 'scissor ban' is 'absurd'

A north London council has apologised after a woman was refused the loan of a pair of scissors in a library because she "might stab a member of staff".

Lorna Watts, 26, a self-employed dressmaker, was turned down at Holborn Library in central London.

She said: "It's ridiculous - public libraries are supposed to be supportive of small businesses."

A spokeswoman for Camden Council, which runs the library, has apologised and said it would investigate the incident.

Ms Watts, from Islington, north London, said: "I asked why I couldn't borrow a pair of scissors and she said, 'they are sharp, you might stab me'.

'Absurd' policy

She added: "It's absurd - there are plenty of heavy books I could have hit her with if I wanted to.

"I hardly look very threatening - it's really sad she could not make a commonsense judgement."

The businesswoman then visited another three libraries in north London but her request was rejected in each of them.

A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said there was no policy in place on lending sharp implements.

"People know their own workplaces and must carry out their own risk assessments", she said.

"But we do ask workplaces to take a common sense approach.

"This could be a case of someone misinterpreting the rules."

A Camden Council spokeswoman said: "We are sorry we have not reached our usual high standards. We will investigate fully as soon as possible."

Presumably they wouldn't have lent her a rock if they had one.

In their world paper always wins.  :rolleyes:

edit:
On second thoughts maybe she was stoned ?  :cool:

Ed Anger

I should start deleting my posts. Or changing them to dirty jokes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Presumably they also refuse to lend out books, on the grounds they might be "hit over the head" with them.

I have to say that, based on the evidence given, this particular employee is a grade A moron. :lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Libraries are supposed to support businesses...businesses that can't even afford their own scissors? The UK be crazy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2009, 06:22:01 PM
Libraries are supposed to support businesses...businesses that can't even afford their own scissors? The UK be crazy.

In this case, judging by the story it is more like "can't afford a photocopier" and just forgot the scissors.

Sounds like the "businesswoman" is just starting up, either with a new service or having just moved to the area. Probably a business run from home, by the sound of it. It would be cheaper to photocopy her leaflets at the library than use a standard home printer.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on September 26, 2009, 07:25:12 PM
In this case, judging by the story it is more like "can't afford a photocopier" and just forgot the scissors.

Sounds like the "businesswoman" is just starting up, either with a new service or having just moved to the area. Probably a business run from home, by the sound of it. It would be cheaper to photocopy her leaflets at the library than use a standard home printer.

Yes, she just happened to forget her scissors at 3 other libraries.  I think that perhaps Ms. Watts would be better to attend to her business instead of a crusade for free scissors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2009, 07:40:21 PM
Yes, she just happened to forget her scissors at 3 other libraries.  I think that perhaps Ms. Watts would be better to attend to her business instead of a crusade for free scissors.

So, you think she is a "scissors crusader" who set up these libraries? Well, maybe that's true.

More likely, given the number of libraries in each borough of London, it was easier and faster for her to go on to the next one. Or, judging from the text, she tried other libraries on her way home.

There are at least eight libraries within one mile of the notional centre of Holborn, as far as I can tell.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

sbr

Are there more libraries than stores that sell scissors?

garbon

Quote from: sbr on September 26, 2009, 08:09:11 PM

Indeed. I can hardly see not buying a pair after the first library, but she had to go to 4 to learn her lesson? :yeahright:

Warspite

I have to say that I think this is really about one of those crazy ladies that goes around tormenting public institutions. The staff member probably refused to lend her scissors because she's certifiable.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Agelastus

Quote from: sbr on September 26, 2009, 08:09:11 PM

Since (and I kid you not) in some stores, if you look too young, you need an ID card that proves you are 21 (or possibly even 25 by now) in order to be able to buy spoons (due to there possible use as a weapon) I can well believe it - scissors have been classed as a potential offensive weapon in some shops for years.

The amusing thing is that despite stores requiring this card, even if spoons are classed with knives, it is still legal to buy them at 18...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be