Lisbon 2: Referendum in Ireland on the 2nd of October

Started by Cerr, September 26, 2009, 01:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerr

Well the vote is next Friday. Polls suggest the yes side will win this time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0926/breaking9.htm
QuoteCanvassing for Lisbon continues
CHARLIE TAYLOR

Politicians of all persuasions are out canvassing today on what is the final weekend before voters go to the polls on Friday to decide on the Lisbon referendum.

The Green Party today claimed that the No side was becoming increasingly desperate after some campaigners suggested the Lisbon Treaty would do nothing to aid environmental protection.

Earlier this week, environmentalist, many of them former Green Party members, accused John Gormley of making “spurious claims” that the Lisbon Treaty enhances environmental protection.

However, speaking this morning, the party's European Affairs spokeswoman Senator Deirdre de Burca stated that the No side had not put forward a shred of evidence as to how the Treaty would affect the environment and said "had only their opions to back them up"

“The Lisbon Treaty will have a positive impact on environmental protection and it will empower the EU in the fight against climate change. Anybody that denies this is being dishonest," said Ms de Burca.

“The Lisbon Treaty strengthens the legal base of the EU in relation to environmental matters through Article 37 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights, Article 191 of the TFEU dealing with Climate Change, and Article 194 which gives the EU a new competence in the area of energy and prioritises energy efficiency and the development of renewable energy sources,” she added.

Elsewhere, Labour Party MEP Proinsias De Rossa warned voters against listening to the ‘Unholy Alliance’ of No campaigners, who claim toknow more about protecting workers’ rights than the trade union movements of every EU Member State.

“Separating the facts from their codology is not simple but the reality is that far from posing any threat to workers, the Lisbon Treaty protects and promotes their rights and has been recognised as such by every national affiliate of the European Trade Union Confederation, representing 60 million workers across Europe," said Mr De Rossa.

That the ‘unholy alliance’ is opposing the incorporation of these significant advances for the people of Europe for their own dubious reasons and creating fear amongst those already fearful for their future is shameful," he added.

Pro-Lisbon campaigners have been buoyed by the latest Irish Times /TNS mrbi poll which showed that support for the Treaty is holding steady.

The latest poll shows that 48 per cent are likely to vote Yes, an increase of two points since the last Irish Times poll in early September, while 33 per cent say they would vote No, an increase of four points. The number of people in the Don’t Know category has dropped by six points to 19 per cent.

However, No campaigners, led by Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams today reiterated their belief that the Treaty would be detrimental to Ireland.

Canvassing in Tallaght this morning, Mr Adams has said that a better deal was still possible despite the claims to the contrary from the government and their supporters on the yes side.

“The government and their supporters on the ‘Yes’ side are telling you that a better deal is not possible. I don’t agree. There would not be a Good Friday Agreement if that approach had been adopted," he said.

“Just as a better deal was possible in the Peace Process, a better deal is possible in Europe. A deal based on democracy, equality and prosperity. A deal that replaces the outdated and discredited Lisbon Treaty with a new deal for the new and challenging times in which we find ourselves," he added.

The campaigns from both sides have been irritating. I'm looking forward to it being finally over.

The yes side have two very patronising ads shown together (separated by one or two other ads) in all the cinemas for the last couple of months.
First one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQu8jxO3RRs
Second one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7birfgb_0k&NR=1

The no side have the worst posters. Many of their ones are hysterical scaremongering. Particularly bad are anything that comes from Cóir. They're a new right wing Catholic lobby group campaigning for a no vote.
Apparently forced euthanasia and abortions will be legalized if we vote yes. Also the minimum wage will be reduced to €1.84.  :lol:

Cerr

Here's the Euthanasia/Abortion poster:

Zanza

If the Irish actually vote in favor of the treaty + assurances now, the only person that could still stop the treaty is Vaclav Klaus. I wonder if he will make a big show out of it.

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on September 26, 2009, 02:05:07 PM
If the Irish actually vote in favor of the treaty + assurances now, the only person that could still stop the treaty is Vaclav Klaus. I wonder if he will make a big show out of it.
He's a politician.  Why wouldn't he?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

There's a big argument in the Tories about Lisbon.  They don't know whether or not they should have a retroactive referendum on it or not. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Cerr

Quote from: Faeelin on September 26, 2009, 02:35:24 PM
Why the change of heart?
The yes side have been better at countering the scaremongering from the no side this time.

The yes side had a terrible campaign the first time. They really only began campaigning about a month before the referendum and their posters were terrible. A lot of them had pictures of whoever the local candidate was for whichever party put it up, with a small bit of text saying 'Vote Yes to Lisbon' whereas the no side had effective slogans with no pictures. They were also more widespread and were up a lot longer. Also some the main politicians on the yes side admitted they either hadn't read the Treaty at all or only parts of it.

Faeelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2009, 02:24:53 PM
There's a big argument in the Tories about Lisbon.  They don't know whether or not they should have a retroactive referendum on it or not.

Yes?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on September 26, 2009, 03:09:00 PM
Yes?
If that happens then the UK will retroactively not ratify the treaty and everything's a clusterfuck.  Which is why you should never vote Tory.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2009, 03:16:19 PM
Yes?
If that happens then the UK will retroactively not ratify the treaty and everything's a clusterfuck.  Which is why you should never vote Tory.
It'll be much more fun for Languish if that happens so you should vote Tory just for that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2009, 03:16:19 PM
Yes?

If that happens then the UK will retroactively not ratify the treaty and everything's a clusterfuck.  Which is why you should always vote Tory.

I'm disappointed that the Irish have been treated like shit again, and yet do not seem to care. A "no" should be a "no", not an "OK, this does not really matter, we'll all carry on as if nothing has happened and we'll give them a couple of empty promises so that they will go away and ratify the treaty they have just rejected."
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Warspite

This whole episode is a good argument against referendums - the first time round, most of the No voters in Ireland had believed the outrageous lies spread by the campaign - including, in addition to the ones above, that the ratification of Lisbon meant conscription into an EU army.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

I've heard about the suck of the Irish but this is ridiculous.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

What I just hate is the Eurosceptics saying "They voted teh nooooo that means nooooo!!".
They're just not understanding democracy; the timing is a bit sharp but still, its the way the system works.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Agelastus on September 26, 2009, 05:04:48 PM
I'm disappointed that the Irish have been treated like shit again, and yet do not seem to care. A "no" should be a "no", not an "OK, this does not really matter, we'll all carry on as if nothing has happened and we'll give them a couple of empty promises so that they will go away and ratify the treaty they have just rejected."
Why do you think the assurances are "empty"? They are a legally binding part of the Lisbon Treaty.