News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Risen - from the makers of Gothic

Started by Syt, September 26, 2009, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://risen.deepsilver.com/blog/pages/en/news/news.php

Action RPG, from Piranha Bytes, the guys behind the first three Gothic games (unfortunately the third one was quite a dud). So here's hoping the makers to return to true form with an open world, good story and a dark fantasy setting (though from the screenies things seem to have a partially Carribean feel to it).

Comes out in a couple days.

I'd be tempted to preorder, but I already have Bioware's Dragon Age preordered, and after the Gothic 3 debacle I'd like to see reviews and player feedback first.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

More screens here:
http://www.worldofrisen.de/english/gallery_pic700.htm

Though I have to say that the character models look dated.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Don't know what it is with Gothic.  I didn't think any of the games were very good.  The voice acting was some of the worst I'd ever heard.  Controls were always difficult and iffy.  Fighting was a pain in the ass.  I don't know why Gothic 3 would be worse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I already used a "smoking the hookah" joke on Languish years ago :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2009, 02:52:53 PM
Don't know what it is with Gothic.  I didn't think any of the games were very good.  The voice acting was some of the worst I'd ever heard.  Controls were always difficult and iffy.  Fighting was a pain in the ass.  I don't know why Gothic 3 would be worse.
Agreed.  IIRC, Gothic 2 didn't even have mouse support for lists!  Gameplay issues made those games losers, IMO, even if there was a potentially interesting story under the hood (once you had made five or six levels so that you could take on rats one-on-one with some hope of success).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

When I first tried Gothic 2 I thought it sucked. When I tested it again a couple of months later and didn't get distracted by the fugly and non-mouse-supporting menus I realized that it rocked. It was a completely awesome game.

One of the many great things about it was that you could easily wander into monsters that were way beyond what you could handle. You hade to display some judgment when picking fights. Running away was commonly a great choice.

Obviously a person who struggled with rats may just have been skillfully challenged.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Cecil

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2009, 02:30:20 AM
When I first tried Gothic 2 I thought it sucked. When I tested it again a couple of months later and didn't get distracted by the fugly and non-mouse-supporting menus I realized that it rocked. It was a completely awesome game.

One of the many great things about it was that you could easily wander into monsters that were way beyond what you could handle. You hade to display some judgment when picking fights. Running away was commonly a great choice.

Obviously a person who struggled with rats may just have been skillfully challenged.

I tend to agree. About the combat though with some skill and when you started to "get" the combat system you could easily take down some hard monsters. Remembering killing the mountain troll as pretty low level.

Jaron

I liked Gothic 2.

I have Dragon Age or whatever on my wish list but the Marilyn Manson music in all the trailers really pissed me off. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2009, 05:51:49 AM
I liked Gothic 2.

I have Dragon Age or whatever on my wish list but the Marilyn Manson music in all the trailers really pissed me off. :P

Risen uses Nightwish. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

DisturbedPervert

The ads and trailers for Dragon Age are simply awful.  This is the first time advertising has caused a game to fall off of my must buy list.  I definitely won't be getting it until I've read reviews from rpg players on the net stating that it isn't a sack of shit.

Josquius

I've never attempted Gothic 2 but Gothic 1 was simply horrid.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 27, 2009, 05:26:12 PM

The ads and trailers for Dragon Age are simply awful.  This is the first time advertising has caused a game to fall off of my must buy list.  I definitely won't be getting it until I've read reviews from rpg players on the net stating that it isn't a sack of shit.

It LOOKS good, and Bioware has a good record. I'm just worried I'm going to start killing stuff and its going to cue the death metal to start playing. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Played Risen a bit yesterday. It feels a lot like Gothic 2 in a Gothic 3 engine. Landscapes are pretty, character animations look dated and wooden. You are stranded on an island (this time themed after Spanish colonies ca. 16th century). The world is overrun by evil forces, the inquisition locks themselves up in the only harbor town, bandits have a camp elsewhere, and between them stand the mages. You choose which faction to join and (presumably) save the world.

If you liked Gothic 2 you may want to take a look as gameplay is pretty much identical (combat, picking herbs, character development via learning points + trainers etc.). Though you may want to wait for the price to drop - the game does just not seem to offer much new. If you hated Gothic 2 you should stay clear.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Winkelried

One of the reviews of amazon says pretty much the opposite: It's basicly Gothic 2 with different names. If you don't know Gothic 2 you might enjoy it but otherwise too much déjà-vu. Any truth to that?