News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Risen - from the makers of Gothic

Started by Syt, September 26, 2009, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Winkelried on October 03, 2009, 12:58:44 PM
One of the reviews of amazon says pretty much the opposite: It's basicly Gothic 2 with different names. If you don't know Gothic 2 you might enjoy it but otherwise too much déjà-vu. Any truth to that?

Yeah. Normally, when playing a new RPG one of the things I look forward to the most is exploring the world. Gothic 1 & 2 were fun, as was Morrowind and Baldur's Gate or Fallout series. However, with Risen I have a strong feeling of, "Wait a sec, this seems very familiar". Maybe that'll change over the course of the campaign, but that is one of the main reasons I feel a bit underwhelmed. The idea to give it a bit of a Spanish colonial veneer (and the inclusion of Slavic names) is nice, but it indeed feels much like Gothic 2 with a new coating.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2009, 07:29:56 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 27, 2009, 05:26:12 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2009, 05:51:49 AM
I have Dragon Age or whatever on my wish list but the Marilyn Manson music in all the trailers really pissed me off. :P

The ads and trailers for Dragon Age are simply awful.  This is the first time advertising has caused a game to fall off of my must buy list.  I definitely won't be getting it until I've read reviews from rpg players on the net stating that it isn't a sack of shit.

It LOOKS good, and Bioware has a good record. I'm just worried I'm going to start killing stuff and its going to cue the death metal to start playing. :P

Gotta agree. It looks totally fucking awesome.

It sounds, however, like a sack of flaming dog shit.

Syt

First of all, the music in the Dragon Age trailers is at best Nu Metal, whichs indeed sucks.

(Death Metal would be more something like Arch Enemy).

Still, you guys don't need to get your frilly panties in a bunch since it appears that this is the official theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEVE08cDpo
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DisturbedPervert

It's not specifically music but rather the horrible shitty trailers in general that make the game look like it's aimed squarely at 14 year old Xbox tards that leave one worried.

I can only hope that the EA marketing goons are forcing them to misrepresent the game.

Syt

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 04, 2009, 01:54:15 AM
It's not specifically music but rather the horrible shitty trailers in general that make the game look like it's aimed squarely at 14 year old Xbox tards that leave one worried.

I can only hope that the EA marketing goons are forcing them to misrepresent the game.

Well, they'll have a problem with that over here, as at least in Germany/Austria the game is rated 18+, making sales to minors illegal.

It'll also be 18+ in the UK, though I don't know how much it's enforced over there.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Slargos

The music of battle should be the screams of the dying and the wet sound of metal connecting with flesh and bone.

Drums can carry the beat, if the soldiers are an un-swedish lot who need help with that sort of thing.

The Brain

Are you saying that by now through excessive immigration all Swedish soldiers are black and therefore have natural rhythm?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2009, 05:24:09 AM
Are you saying that by now through excessive immigration all Swedish soldiers are black and therefore have natural rhythm?

I was going to claim superior swedish marching discipline but now that you mention it... :weep:

Cecil

Well this game certainly didnt have the usual easy as shit learning curve games tend to have these days. I actually died a few times from being ganged on by the wolves.

Syt

Yeah, one of PB's trademarks. You can go anywhere, but chances are you'll die. In the beginning it's advisable to run past animals if possible. Usually they'll threaten and not attack if you don't go too close or linger too long.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

So any idea whether to go with the bandits or the inquisition?

The Brain

Played the demo some. Was meh and I didn't feel like playing more.  So far it's just as great as Gothic 2 (pbui)!! :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadBurgerMaker

Kinda liking this (never played any of the "Gothic" games).  I'm getting kind of swamped by quests and shit though, since I apparently cant go anywhere without talking to every NPC in sight. 

Went with the monks instead of the other dudes.