News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

North Korea set to launch Taepodong

Started by Weatherman, March 25, 2009, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteWASHINGTON - North Korea has positioned a Taepodong-2 missile on the launchpad at its facility in Musudan in the east of the country, U.S. officials told NBC News on Wednesday.

Pyongyang has said it intends to use the missile to launch a satellite into space. The North Koreans issued an international notice that the launch may occur sometime between April 4 through the 8th.

and Japan readies to shoot it down:

QuoteTOKYO (AFP) — The Japanese government's powerful security council will meet this week to prepare for the shooting down of a North Korean rocket if it threatens to hit the country, the premier said on Wednesday.

The isolated Pyongyang regime has said it will launch a communications satellite over Japanese territory in early April, but the United States and its Asian allies suspect the launch is a ballistic missile test.

Tokyo, which has developed a missile defence system with the United States in recent years, has warned it will attempt to shoot down any missile or debris that threatens to hit its territory.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i6FNzvoiaT0ma6H91CBmNPEgTVmA

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29875242/

Fun.

The Brain

Pathetic. How much damage can they do with a Tampon?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

What an odd thing for th Japanese government to say.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

It's probably a nuke, and it's probably gonna hit that double A bomb survivor, so stay away from him.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2009, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2009, 02:43:03 PM
What do you mean?

Well it's unlikely that NK will fire a rocket into Japan.  Trying to intercept a rocket (or worse just a piece of debris) is dangerous.  What you shootup will also come down.  Firing four rockets up to hit a tailfin that fell off a rickety NK missile is foolhardy.  Even if the NK missile was going to hit Japan firing anti-ballistic missiles at it would likely only exacerbate the problem.  Now you have the debris of several rockets coming down on you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2009, 02:58:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2009, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2009, 02:43:03 PM
What do you mean?

Well it's unlikely that NK will fire a rocket into Japan.  Trying to intercept a rocket (or worse just a piece of debris) is dangerous.  What you shootup will also come down.  Firing four rockets up to hit a tailfin that fell off a rickety NK missile is foolhardy.  Even if the NK missile was going to hit Japan firing anti-ballistic missiles at it would likely only exacerbate the problem.  Now you have the debris of several rockets coming down on you.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2009, 02:58:17 PM
What an odd thing for Raz to say.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 25, 2009, 02:54:25 PM
It's probably a nuke, and it's probably gonna hit that double A bomb survivor, so stay away from him.

To be honest, I like his odds.

DontSayBanana

Oi. Have we confirmed that it's a Taepodong-2?
Experience bij!

Habsburg

The Japanese should shoot it down in principle.  Regardless of destination.  :bowler:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 25, 2009, 08:34:23 PM
Oi. Have we confirmed that it's a Taepodong-2?
I believe so, US satellites monitored it's delivery to the launchpad after all.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Didn't President Clinton make a deal with North Korea? Then the Bush administration? I think deals were usually made as NK would begin testing, again, and again. So isn't this a new try for a deal by NK with the Obama admin? Time to "make a deal", again? And how can I not expect the same behavioral pattern by NK, as they do what ever it is they do to cajole, weasel and reneg their way to get what they want?

Still waiting for the day the NK people to see the world as it really is, emerge into the light outside of their barbed wire cocoon, and realize how badly they've been served by their labor camp government! Man, will the fur fly then....

Alatriste

If we can use the most close precedent, Ceaucescu's Romania, when the end comes it will be quick, nasty and bloody...

KRonn

Quote from: Alatriste on March 26, 2009, 08:26:12 AM
If we can use the most close precedent, Ceaucescu's Romania, when the end comes it will be quick, nasty and bloody...
I would tend to think so, as I do say, but in reality I kind of think the NK people will be more docile than that, not have a revolutionary fervor against their former masters/govt. So I'm not sure what I'd expect. But it just seems that there will be some real awakening among the NK people, one day when they can finally see the real world away from the propaganda, outside the confines of what the govt allows. They lead such a tough life it seems, always food shortages, no rights, govt controlling so much and so repressive.