News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

North Korea set to launch Taepodong

Started by Weatherman, March 25, 2009, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Alatriste on March 26, 2009, 08:26:12 AM
If we can use the most close precedent, Ceaucescu's Romania, when the end comes it will be quick, nasty and bloody...

Well the other Stalinist states thawed in the 60s.  The North Koreans just really love Stalinism, I do not see them giving it up voluntarily.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

What I wonder is what the Pyongyang subway looks like.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Looks like there's a good chance of seeing some Aegis destroyers in action.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-03-28-voa5.cfm
QuoteJapan Deploys Ships Ahead of North Korean Rocket Launch
By VOA News
28 March 2009

Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force ships drop anchors at pier at base in Yokosuka, Japan, 28 Mar 2009

Japan deployed three guided missile destroyers Saturday with orders to shoot down any debris from a North Korean rocket that might stray into Japanese airspace.

Meanwhile, the United States, Japan and South Korea have agreed that any launch would be immediately brought up in the United Nations Security Council.

The three countries have all said North Korea is using the planned launch to test its ballistic missile capability in violation of U.N. resolutions. North Korea says it intends to launch a communications satellite between April 4 and April 8.

Japan deployed two warships to the Sea of Japan, which separates Japan from North Korea. The ships have radar and weapons systems designed to shoot down enemy missiles, the Aegis system.

A third Japanese destroyer was deployed to the Pacific Ocean where the North Korean rocket is expected to return to earth.

Japan also began deploying land based anti-missile defenses Friday while news reports said the U.S. Navy was moving ships with anti-missile capabilities - the Aegis system - to waters around Japan.

Japan's defense minister, Yasukazu Hamada, said his government has ordered its military to shoot down dangerous debris that might fall on Japanese territory during the launch.

Officials also say Japan is moving several (PAC-3) Patriot land-to-air missiles to its northern coast.

An international intelligence publication, Jane's Defense Weekly, said Friday that satellite imagery shows North Korea is nearing the final phases of preparing for its rocket launch. It said recent activity at the launch site suggests the mission is on or even ahead of schedule.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

OUR WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR DONGS!

The Brain

Shut up about Dr. New Jersey already.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2009, 09:51:34 AM
What I wonder is what the Pyongyang subway looks like.

No one really knows.  Foreigners are only allowed at two stations, and with a guide.  There is speculation that the only time the train runs is for tourists, and that all the passengers are actors.

Neil

The Japanese should take back the entire Korean peninsula.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2009, 03:33:05 PM
Why? The South Koreans seem okay.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2009, 03:39:11 PM
I don't trust them.  Too soft on their Northern cousins.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2009, 03:43:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2009, 03:39:11 PM
I don't trust them.  Too soft on their Northern cousins.
:mmm:

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martim Silva

Quote from: Siege on March 28, 2009, 11:05:00 PM

I agree.

Yeah, and the northern mountain provinces with river borders are quite easy to defend, too...  :)

Which is why China immediately attacks any non-NK army that gets near the area, I suppose...  <_<