News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Carter: US likely behind Chavez coup

Started by Savonarola, September 21, 2009, 02:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Eh. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're a senile old fool.

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on September 21, 2009, 03:39:47 PM

Translation: Sometimes you agree with me, and sometimes you don't.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2009, 03:36:16 PM
Link?  Yeah right telling a guys political opponents all about what their secret international dealings are sounds like a great idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President%27s_Daily_Brief

QuoteFormer Presidents are entitled to receive the [President's Daily Brief], if they so desire, only after the sitting President actually receives his daily briefing.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2009, 03:45:06 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 21, 2009, 03:39:47 PM

Translation: Sometimes you agree with me, and sometimes you don't.

Pretty much, yep.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2009, 02:40:25 PM
Why is there no doubt?  If we are so freaking omniscient and almighty can't we someday use that to actually do something useful?

I think people often confuse or misunderstand what that means in operational terms. Absent of actual malice, a failure to act while having "full knowledge" can mean any of the following:

1. We "know" it, we don't know if it is true.
2. We have other things going on.
3. We can't do anything about it, and we don't want to compromise our sources.

Etc.

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 21, 2009, 04:07:15 PM
Link?  Yeah right telling a guys political opponents all about what their secret international dealings are sounds like a great idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President%27s_Daily_Brief

QuoteFormer Presidents are entitled to receive the [President's Daily Brief], if they so desire, only after the sitting President actually receives his daily briefing.

Well go figure maybe Carter did also know about the Coup in advance and he failed to inform the Venezuelan government about it.  Jimmy Carter was behind the Chavez Coup.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

On the issue of omniscience:

Is it inconceivable US intelligence operatives may have known about the coup before it happened? That they may have been contacted by the plotters to guage the potential US reaction, perhaps solicit support? Because if this is plausible, then it is plausible that the US "knew" about the coup, in some way?

Given the proximity of the US to the whole situation, it would be something of a blunder if the coup attempt really did come unexpected to US intelligence.

This has nothing to do with the US being 'behind' the coup, of course.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on September 21, 2009, 04:22:35 PM
Is it inconceivable US intelligence operatives may have known about the coup before it happened? That they may have been contacted by the plotters to guage the potential US reaction, perhaps solicit support? Because if this is plausible, then it is plausible that the US "knew" about the coup, in some way?

Given the proximity of the US to the whole situation, it would be something of a blunder if the coup attempt really did come unexpected to US intelligence.

Well given the fact the US government was responsible for the construction of New Orleans Levees it would be reasonable to assume they were not built on swamp peat and sand either.  Nobody ever lost money betting the US Government blundered.

It is certainly possible they knew a coup was coming but I see nothing in our track record suggesting it is something that can be safely assumed or something we can have no doubt about.  Heck we were caught unprepared for the freaking economic crisis that was predicted on this Message Board years ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 03:11:46 PM
Seedy said Carter could tell because Carter was a southerner, and Seedy could tell Carter was right because Seedy is from a slave state.

:lol: :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on September 21, 2009, 04:22:35 PM

This has nothing to do with the US being 'behind' the coup, of course.
Amen.  Considering all the DEA listening posts from Columbia to Ft. Huachuca, honestly I'd be disappointed if we didn't know about the coup going down.  We get to hear lots of shit. 
Doesn't mean we were "behind" anything, which isn't even what Carter said, but the Languishite GOPtards will contort it anyway, because they want their country back from Teh Evil Nigger and His Big Govmint Minions(tm).

Jeanne Kirkpatrick was having dinner at the Argentinian ambassador's residence the night the Falklands were invaded. Think she heard anything?  If she did, does that mean we were "behind" it?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 02:49:51 PM
Anyone get al Jazeera?  There's an article in The Atlantic in which the author absolutely raves about their reporting.

I watch it online from their English website for free (http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/), though the real player stream wouldn't work for me so I have to watch it through a third-party program linked on their site.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2009, 02:41:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 02:40:10 PM
Jimmy doubles down.

Next up: the truth about 9/11?

Jimmy needs to shut up man.  He has no evidence to support this ridiculous claim only that he assumes it to be true.  It is like we elected Martim Silva to the Presidency.

Don't ex-pres get CIA briefings on a regular basis if they so choose? I think papa Bush did/does.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 21, 2009, 03:10:19 PM
IIRC, former presidents get routine intelligence briefings.

I think it's bad show for a former President to be discussing what the current President's told them - which seems to be the case here, Carter discussing that Obama wants normal relations with Venezuela.  That he's doing it to a foreign newspaper also seems a bit off.

QuoteIs it inconceivable US intelligence operatives may have known about the coup before it happened? That they may have been contacted by the plotters to guage the potential US reaction, perhaps solicit support? Because if this is plausible, then it is plausible that the US "knew" about the coup, in some way?
It's on the record that the coup plotters met with American representatives.  The Americans apparently told them to stick to constitutional means and I believe they were investigated, again by the US government, who cleared them and their respective departments of any wrongdoing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 21, 2009, 06:06:11 PM
It's on the record that the coup plotters met with American representatives.  The Americans apparently told them to stick to constitutional means and I believe they were investigated, again by the US government, who cleared them and their respective departments of any wrongdoing.

Um I am sure even Chavez knew there were plottings of a coup afoot.  Having 'full knowledge' means we knew what and when and how.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2009, 05:07:43 PM
Amen.  Considering all the DEA listening posts from Columbia to Ft. Huachuca, honestly I'd be disappointed if we didn't know about the coup going down.  We get to hear lots of shit. 
Doesn't mean we were "behind" anything, which isn't even what Carter said, but the Languishite GOPtards will contort it anyway, because they want their country back from Teh Evil Nigger and His Big Govmint Minions(tm).

Um dude:

Quote"I think there is no doubt that in 2002, the United States had at the very least full knowledge about the coup, and could even have been directly involved," Carter said in an interview with Colombian El Tiempo newspaper published on Sunday.

Carter said it was understandable that Chavez continues to blame the US for the failed attempt to overthrow him.

I mean come on man.  He is basically saying all of Chavez's paranoid bullshit and the all the conspiracy theories are reasonable and might even be true.  He did not come out and say we were behind it but he acts like it is understandable for people to think so.