News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car question

Started by DGuller, September 21, 2009, 04:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

So a couple of days ago I decided to do my patriotic duty, and check my tire pressures, to make sure I'm not unduly increasing demand for gas.  The last time I did that was about a year ago.  Since last year, three of my tires lost 2 psi of pressure, while the right front tire lost 5 psi. 

Should I be concerned about that right front tire?  It seems to me like losing 5 psi in a year is a bit much, especially when compared to other tires.  I don't think I deflated any of the tires to any significant degree while sticking the guage in the valve stem, so I'm sure that those are accurate and representative readings.

Admiral Yi

5 psi in a year sounds like small beer to me.

DGuller

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

If I were you, I would be suspicious about the genetic heritage of that tyre, and I would probably avoid letting it fraternize with the other tyres.

Perhaps mark it with a distinct tattoo in order to keep it properly segregated. A serial number or something.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2009, 04:12:55 PM
Small beer?
8 ounces.  A little girly glass.

The right front is the one you bash into the curb on tight turns.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 04:20:59 PM
The right front is the one you bash into the curb on tight turns.
I'm very good at not doing that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2009, 04:22:09 PM
I'm very good at not doing that.
Then maybe Slargo's hypothesis.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Lucky people that don't have to use winter tires.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Do you not get them rotated and pay attention to alignment? I can tell you that not get them aligned, especially, can fuck up your world.

Your tires will lose pressure anyway. 
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 21, 2009, 09:03:09 PM
Do you not get them rotated and pay attention to alignment? I can tell you that not get them aligned, especially, can fuck up your world.

Your tires will lose pressure anyway.
I only have 8000 miles on my car, I don't drive it that much.  That's another reason why a 5 psi drop concerned me, I expected less.  However, it does sound like it's business as usual, so I'll just get them all re-inflated some time soon.