News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US General asks for more troops

Started by viper37, September 21, 2009, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2009, 02:11:42 PM
An argument could be made that NATO didn't really want to do it.  They were signing on to annihilate the Taliban and then to set up an Afghan government that was somewhat friendly towards the West, not to participate in an occupation longer than either Germany's or Japan's.

My recollection was that all NATO nations were full of rhetoric of staying till the job was done and vowing not to repeat the mistake made when the West left Afghanistan to its own devices after the Soviets were defeated.

Your argument is fine in hindsight but nobody was putting limits on their involvement until the resurgence of the Taliban.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on September 22, 2009, 01:09:53 PM
The Afghans fought (and arguably won, at least in the immediate sense) our war in the 1980s with our weapons at a cost higher than any American can imagine.  Then we just pulled our dick out and let the Taliban turn what was once a vacation spot into an economically, environmentally and political hell hole where the lot of half the population is so terrible that they regularly set themselves on fire.
What's your point?  That if we had kept out dick in none of that would have happened?

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2009, 03:55:03 PM
What's your point?  That if we had kept out dick in none of that would have happened?
I don't think we should abandon the same country twice. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on September 22, 2009, 03:59:11 PM

We abandoned Canada twice.  And now look at them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2009, 04:09:32 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 22, 2009, 03:59:11 PM

We abandoned Canada twice.  And now look at them.
The Brits haven't executed mothers in front of their sons since the...well...I don't even know if the Saxons would have done that. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on September 22, 2009, 08:43:16 AM
Berkut's real objection is to the claim that you "can't" commit enough troops to fight off a poorly funded and armed bunch of irregulars fighting in the mountains.

In fact, I would ague that you guys are disrespecting yourselves vastly more than I am - my claim is that you could, if you wished and without any serious crimp of your lifestyle, send an order of magnitude more men into harms ways. You don't not because you can't, but because you simply do not want to, and then claim that you CAN'T in order to pretend like there isn't any choice in the matter.

We could double our military budget and still we could not send more men. The fact is being a soldier in here is seen as a failure worse than flipping burgers. With the odd exception, only total losers end up serving. It has taken a lot of immigrant volunteers, a worldwide crisis and the collapse of the housing bubble (close to 20% unemployment now) to finally allow the military to meet its timid recruitment goals, which had gone unfulfilled ever since it went professional.

Zanza

Quote from: Berkut on September 22, 2009, 08:18:59 AMAnd Germany? Please. This is a country that a half century ago put literally millions of men into uniform and sent them all over Europe and Africa. Sorry, I am guessing that they could manage to send a couple hundred thousand men if they had the will to do so. Not saying they should send that many, of course, just that they could certainly support that many.
Most Germans don't want that though. Simple as that. If that means failure in Afghanistan, I doubt many Germans will care. It's seen as an American war here anyway. That makes supporting the effort in Afghanistan a suicide mission for politicians here.

I would rather see Afghanistan succeed, if only for the poor Afghanis who deserve a better life. I don't care for the prestige of the NATO (or the West). But I am also not really willing to commit more resources. We have so many other problems that seem more important to me and I would rather we spend our resources on that.

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2009, 03:40:33 PMYour argument is fine in hindsight but nobody was putting limits on their involvement until the resurgence of the Taliban.
So the situation changed. Time to re-evaluate your long term strategy, no?

citizen k

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2009, 04:54:58 PM
But I am also not really willing to commit more resources. We have so many other problems that seem more important to me and I would rather we spend our resources on that.

That's how Afghanistan was lost after the Soviet pullout.  :(

Neil

I would rather see Afghanistan succeed, if only for the poor Afghanis who deserve a better life.
What makes you think that they deserve a better life?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: citizen k on September 22, 2009, 05:00:36 PM
But I am also not really willing to commit more resources. We have so many other problems that seem more important to me and I would rather we spend our resources on that.

What makes you think that we ever hda Afghanistan to lose?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2009, 04:59:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2009, 03:40:33 PMYour argument is fine in hindsight but nobody was putting limits on their involvement until the resurgence of the Taliban.
So the situation changed.

To the contrary, the problem is that the situation has not changed.  Only the fickle whims of the masses and of politicians in the West has changed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2009, 05:10:39 PM

Not referring to Western interest, just human interest. Something an Old One like yourself wouldn't be concerned with.

:cthulu:

Neil

Quote from: citizen k on September 22, 2009, 05:17:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2009, 05:10:39 PM

Not referring to Western interest, just human interest. Something an Old One like yourself wouldn't be concerned with.

:cthulu:
How does helping Afghanistan help the cause of humanity?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2009, 04:59:36 PM
So the situation changed. Time to re-evaluate your long term strategy, no?

When the going gets tough....

The Germans bug out and leave the fighting to others.

Great, just great.