News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Holocaust denial

Started by Josquius, September 18, 2009, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2009, 02:46:00 PM
I think Holocaust pity is the bedrock of American support for Israel.
Nah, thats New York.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2009, 02:46:47 PM
Nah, thats New York.
The average American does not get lobbyed by AIPAC.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Armyknife on September 19, 2009, 02:55:17 PM
Not sure I ever believed it, always seemed to unlikely given the culture and too efficient.

edit:
my bad, I thought the thead was about Roman underfloor heating.  :blush:
For posterity.

Jaron

Not sure I ever believed it, always seemed to unlikely given the culture and too efficient.

edit:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Zanza

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 18, 2009, 08:59:33 PM
The Holocaust never happened, it was a hoax dreamed up by Hollywood to sell movie tickets.

(Is it legal for Germans to read this post?)
Sure.

Agelastus

edit:

I can sympathise with Hypocaust pity.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2009, 11:49:41 AM
I don't know there were about two hundred thousand Jews in Palestine in 1939 I don't know if it would have been too immoral a statement later on that the area should be partitioned when the British left.  Especially as there would be six million more living Jews to support them and generally the only significant real support Israel gets is from the Jewish Diaspora and their allies.  I have not really noticed massive moral support for Israel because of the Holocaust at all really, but then this is now and things were probably different in 1948 in that regard.

I generally disagree very strongly that somehow the Holocaust created Israel since the project was already 50 years along at that point.
The original UN partition plan heavily favored the Jews. It's not a stretch to argue that Holocaust pity played a part in that.

Germany payed (still does?) significant guilt money to Israel.

I'd say that was true in, say 1948-1955, but today it's more the view that Isreal is basically the only country in the Middle East that can be considered basically democratic that is the foundation of American support for Isreal.

saskganesh

Quote from: dps on September 19, 2009, 07:41:11 PM
I don't know there were about two hundred thousand Jews in Palestine in 1939 I don't know if it would have been too immoral a statement later on that the area should be partitioned when the British left.  Especially as there would be six million more living Jews to support them and generally the only significant real support Israel gets is from the Jewish Diaspora and their allies.  I have not really noticed massive moral support for Israel because of the Holocaust at all really, but then this is now and things were probably different in 1948 in that regard.

I generally disagree very strongly that somehow the Holocaust created Israel since the project was already 50 years along at that point.
The original UN partition plan heavily favored the Jews. It's not a stretch to argue that Holocaust pity played a part in that.

I'd say that was true in, say 1948-1955, but today it's more the view that Isreal is basically the only country in the Middle East that can be considered basically democratic that is the foundation of American support for Isreal.

Turkey is a "basic" democracy. and is also a member of NATO, unlike Israel. How come Turkey does not figure in common perceptions of the Middle East?

humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on September 19, 2009, 09:23:29 PM
Turkey is a "basic" democracy. and is also a member of NATO, unlike Israel. How come Turkey does not figure in common perceptions of the Middle East?
Turkey don't have neighbours many times their size and population dedicated to their annihilation.

Also, nobody talks about Turks in the Bible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

they are not in the Koran either.

this makes them doubly useful.
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on September 19, 2009, 09:42:38 PM
they are not in the Koran either.

this makes them doubly useful.
Americans don't care about what's in the Koran.  But they do remember thoes plucky Israelites in those stories they heard at Sunday school.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: dps on September 19, 2009, 07:41:11 PM

From the American perspective, Turkey being a NATO member makes them part of Europe, not part of the Middle East.

Valmy

I disagree about America I think we would have supported Israel anyway both because of our native Jews and the conservative Christian elements for their own rather odd reasons.

There were certainly some "positives" that came out of the holocaust for Israel but I think it was overall a net negative.  You just cannot replace six million warm bodies when numbers count for so much in the game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Not Arab?  I am not sure really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

QuoteRussia condemns Iran's Holocaust denier
Published: Sept. 20, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Russia has denounced as "completely inadmissible" Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's latest Holocaust denial.

"Similar statements, no matter where they come from, violate the truth and are completely inadmissible," said Andrei Nesterenko, a Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman.

Nesterenko's condemnation came after Ahmadinejad once again called the Holocaust "a lie" in a televised address Friday.

Ahmadinejad said the Holocaust, in which 6 million Jews died, was "a false pretext to create Israel" and urged Muslims to confront the "Zionist regime (as) a national and religious duty."

"Attempts to rewrite history, especially as the 70th anniversary of the start of World War II is being marked this year, are an offense to the memory of all victims and all those who fought fascism," Nesterenko said.

He also warned that Ahmadinejad's denial "does not contribute to creating an international atmosphere that would foster a fruitful dialogue on issues concerning Iran."