News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

True blood

Started by Ape, September 18, 2009, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ape

I am probably going to step on someones toes here and I couldn't be arsed to find a topic regarding this tv-series.

Over the past few weeks I've been watching through the two seasons of it with my girlfriend, and to be honest I couldn't stop laughing. This must be one of the most silly series in a long time  :lol: it is a comedy, right :unsure: right?

Now I haven't read the novels that the tv-series is based on so I cannot judge that one wheter it is comedy or something else, but the way the tv-series is written it is starting to feel a little like a 'Buffy' or at least 'Angel' rippoff. Now if it was a parody of 'Buffy' or 'Angel', it would be cool (though why do a parody on a parody is beyond me, a little like 'Scary Movie' that is a parody on 'Scream', which is a parody on generic horror movies)

So I am kinda wondering if anybody actually thinks this series is good or worth watching other then as a comedy?

...and don't get me started on the Swedish viking vampire  :rolleyes:

Josquius

I think its pretty damn awesome.
At first I was dubious; crappy pussified twilightesque vampires and people with retarded accents?
But I grew into it.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

It's awesome in the "this show is batshit crazzzzayyyyy" category.

From what I gathered, other then the Lafayette survival & Sookie's brother prohiminent role, it's quite loyal to the books.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Queequeg

I like it when it gets further away from the Camp.  I fucking hate Camp. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

syk

I liked it. Bill is a sissy though.

DisturbedPervert

Yeah, the show is pretty ridiculous.  After the first few episodes I really liked it, and ended up reading the 2nd and 3rd books immediately.  Thought they were both pretty bad, and they weren't meant to be a comedy.  Have enjoyed the 2nd season somewhat, but as a comedy. 

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2009, 03:09:26 PM
From what I gathered, other then the Lafayette survival & Sookie's brother prohiminent role, it's quite loyal to the books.

Well, I'd completely disagree with that.  The storyline is vaguely similar, but that's all.  The Mary Ann storyline for example did not exist at all in the books.  None of the side storylines exist at all, the entire story is told solely through Sookie.  Most of the characters in the series get a few paragraphs in the books when they are around Sookie, and some that are important for an episode or several in the series (like Mary Ann or the vampire who kills himself) don't exist at all or are so changed they are almost unrecognizable.

Although actually, and this is one of the only times I would say this, the tv series is far superior to the book.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 18, 2009, 03:20:56 PM
Yeah, the show is pretty ridiculous.  After the first few episodes I really liked it, and ended up reading the 2nd and 3rd books immediately.  Thought they were both pretty bad, and they weren't meant to be a comedy.  Have enjoyed the 2nd season somewhat, but as a comedy. 

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2009, 03:09:26 PM

Well, I'd completely disagree with that.  The storyline is vaguely similar, but that's all.  The Mary Ann storyline for example did not exist at all in the books.  None of the side storylines exist at all, the entire story is told solely through Sookie.  Most of the characters in the series get a few paragraphs in the books when they are around Sookie, and some that are important for an episode or several in the series (like Mary Ann or the vampire who kills himself) don't exist at all or are so changed they are almost unrecognizable.

Although actually, and this is one of the only times I would say this, the tv series is far superior to the book.

Yes it does exist, it's in the 2nd book. Mary Ann is the maenad.

Josquius

Weren't the books just trashy, mass produced pulp Mills & Boon meets Anne Rice crap though?
I remember reading the creator of the TV series bought the first one because he thought the title and synopsis so ridiculously stupid he had to.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2009, 03:24:12 PM
Yes it does exist, it's in the 2nd book. Mary Ann is the maenad.

Yeah, but she doesn't do even half the stuff she does in the series, it is a minor character.  None of the past several episodes involving her happened in the books.

Caliga

Is this the thing that Anna Paquin is in?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Grey Fox

Yes, Cal.

We see her boobs all the freaking time.

DisturbedPervert

Hell, the black chick, Sookie's best friend in the series that hangs out with Mary Ann, barely even exists in the books.  She's a saleswoman at a clothing store owned by Bill that gets a sentence or two.  The maenad storyline was created from a minor event into something larger and actually far more interesting.

Ape

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2009, 03:34:38 PM
Yes, Cal.

We see her boobs all the freaking time.

That is something that annoys me, now I got nothing against sex, or nudity, but are they trying to sell this series with nudity? It'feels as if there is a sexscene every damned epsiode.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2009, 03:26:48 PM
Weren't the books just trashy, mass produced pulp Mills & Boon meets Anne Rice crap though?
I remember reading the creator of the TV series bought the first one because he thought the title and synopsis so ridiculously stupid he had to.

Yeah, pretty much.  The books aren't very good.  I'm curious to see what they will do with season 3/book 3 though,  given the changes they made and certain other parts they left out.