How many hours of sleep do you get in a typical day?

Started by Caliga, March 25, 2009, 07:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many hours of sleep do you get in a typical day?

less than three
3:00-3:59
4:00-4:59
5:00-5:59
6:00-6:59
7:00-7:59
8:00-8:59
9:00-9:59
ten or more

Caliga

I post this because I occasionally see people posting at ungodly hours (their time, not necessarily mine  :P ) so I was wondering if the board has any insomniacs.  Personally, I go to bed between 10:30 and 11 most nights and get up at 5, so that's 6-6 1/2 for me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

I used to be properly insomniac for about a year or so about 4 years ago, but I fortunately got out of it. Now, I don't sleep as long as I should, though, simply because the day is just too short.

Here, while on vacation I sleep long, but on my normal work day, I go to sleep around 1:30 a.m. (I go to bed earlier than that but usually watch one or two episodes of some comedy show on cable or DVD) and get up at 7 a.m. (to play WoW before work *blush*). So that's between 5 and 6 hours.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2009, 07:46:25 AM
I used to be properly insomniac for about a year or so about 4 years ago, but I fortunately got out of it.

Meaning literally that you could not sleep at all?  I can't imagine that.  I don't get the "proper" eight hours you're supposed to, but if I stay up to 11 I'm about ready to pass out.

Martinus

Whenever anyone tells me I should sleep more, I quote Napoleon:
QuoteSix hours sleep for a man, seven for a woman and eight for a fool.

Caliga

:yes: I feel like if I could only do without sleep altogether, I'd be able to invent something great, like time travel, a perpetual motion machine, or a teleportation device. :bowler:

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2009, 07:48:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2009, 07:46:25 AM
I used to be properly insomniac for about a year or so about 4 years ago, but I fortunately got out of it.

Meaning literally that you could not sleep at all?  I can't imagine that.  I don't get the "proper" eight hours you're supposed to, but if I stay up to 11 I'm about ready to pass out.
Well, I had this thing that unless I, say, was in the bed before 11 p.m. and took a number of precautions (like not drinking coffee after 5 p.m., had a good bath etc.) I would lay sleepless in my bed until 4-5 a.m., unable to fall asleep. This was especially bad on Sunday nights, when I stressed over going to work on the next day and having to get up by a specific hour - which made it even worse.

I still get this occasionally sometimes, but it is never that severe and is much rarer (I used to be like the protagonist on Fight Club for a while - not a nice experience). Three things I learned from this period that helped me a lot were:

1. No matter when you went to sleep eventually, try to always get up early, and more or less at the same hour. You will be sleepy for a day or two, but eventually your body clock will catch up. Don't oversleep.

2. If you are lying there in your bed, in the dark, even if it feels like you don't sleep, you have short naps you don't remember. So don't stress and don't try to do other things (like cleaning your flat or reading a book) because it will only makes it worse.

3. You can't die from insomnia. You can go sleepy for a day or to, but this won't kill you. Eventually your body will catch up.

The worst part about insomnia (especially if it is new for you) is that the more you stress about being unable to sleep, the worse it gets.

Grey Fox

I try to get between 7 to 8 on week days. Weekends it's usually atleast 10 up to 12.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2009, 07:57:37 AM
I try to get between 7 to 8 on week days. Weekends it's usually atleast 10 up to 12.

Alot of people probably get more sleep on weekends, but I still wake up between 5 and 6 am myself. :ph34r:

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2009, 07:52:47 AM
:yes: I feel like if I could only do without sleep altogether, I'd be able to invent something great, like time travel, a perpetual motion machine, or a teleportation device. :bowler:
I know how you feel. I completely do not understand people who like find it enjoyable to be able to sleep for 10 hours or more - I mean, I barely manage to fit all things that I want to do into the hours I have each day, why lose more to a pointless and unproductive behaviour?

Even if I get back from a party late, I try to get up around 9-10 a.m. (even if it means having slept for 4-5 hours only). There is nothing I hate more than waking up in the afternoon, and thus losing half of the day.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2009, 08:00:15 AM

Alot of people probably get more sleep on weekends, but I still wake up between 5 and 6 am myself. :ph34r:
I usually wake up before 8 a.m. on weekends too. :P You are like my hetero twin. :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2009, 08:00:15 AM

If I'm awake before 10 on a weekend, it's because I need to go somewhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2009, 08:01:33 AMI usually wake up before 8 a.m. on weekends too. :P You are like my hetero twin. :P

We had already determined this, though to make the comparison complete I'd better start alot more threads about how awesome it is to be heterosexual, how everyone should be heterosexual, everyone throughout history secretly WAS heterosexual. :cool:

Martinus

My usual weekend schedule (beginning on Friday night) goes something like that:

Friday

6 p.m.: Leave work (early), buy some booze, maybe go to a barber.
8 p.m.: Get home, get a bubbly bath. Drink some of the booze. Dress up.
10 p.m.: Go to a friend's house (or welcome some friends to mine) for a before-party.
11:30 p.m.: Go out to a club. Dance a bit. Watch a drag queen cabaret. Get ocularly devoured by ugly, short, fat and/or old queens. Ocularly devour some young, hot, handsome queens who never look my way.
1:30 a.m.: Head home. Log on MSN. Talk to Fireblade. :p
2:15 a.m.: Go to bed.

Saturday

8 a.m.: Get up. Make coffee and a toast. Play some WoW.
10:30 a.m.: Set up the washing machine and the dish washer. Go out to a nearby coffee shop for my latte, breakfast and browse Facebook, Languish etc. on my MacBook (the coffee shop has free wifi). Download latest podcast and sync with my iPod.
12:00 a.m.: Go to the gym or shopping for clothes, books and The Economist. Eat out.
3:00 p.m.: Get home. Either get ready for an evening date or play WoW.
6:00 p.m.: If I have a date, go to a coffee shop and meet him. Fall in love. Go to my place. Suck dick. Eat ass. Shrimp. Promise to meet. Never see him again.
9:00 p.m.: Post the AAR on Languish.
9:30 p.m.: Watch some TV or play some more WoW.

Sunday

8 a.m.: Get up. Make coffee and a toast. Play some WoW.
10:30 a.m.: Go out to a nearby coffee shop for my latte, breakfast and browse Facebook, Languish etc. on my MacBook (the coffee shop has free wifi).
12:30 p.m.: Meet my fag hag. Have lunch at some Hard Rock cafe-like place. Get drunk on margaritas.
1:30 p.m.: Go together to the movies, to see Milk or something.
4:00 p.m.: Get out of the movie theatre. Kiss goodbye. Go shopping for fresh food.
5:00 p.m.: Get home. Cook dinner. Open a bottle of red. Watch something on TV or DVD.
7:00 p.m.: Participate in a guild raid on WoW or a Pen and Paper rpg session with some friends via mIRC or have sex with one of my usual fuckbuddies whom I called after the last night's date.
11:00 p.m.: Go to bed.

Caliga

:thumbsup:

I liked the following parts, in no particular order:

* bubbly bath
* ugly old queens
* mIRC
* chatting with FB
* eat ass, followed by shrimp

Martinus

:D

I am planning to run my own Vampire: The Requiem game with my mIRC circle of gamers - I tried to get our gamemaster to run it, but all he wants is this Dark Heresy game that is based on Warhammer 40k.