Republican protesters openly admit using racist imagry

Started by Jaron, September 18, 2009, 03:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2009, 03:00:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2009, 02:56:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2009, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 02:26:48 PM
Seeing the town hall meetings with the daily shrieking white woman screaming "I want my country back" I'd say it's fairly widespread.

Uhhh, people screamed stuff like that when Bush was President.

They called him a stupid redneck, said he looked like a monkey, etc., but that's okay 'cuz he is a white guy.

Right.

The reason the race card is being played now is simply because it CAN be played now - Obama is black, so it is a way to go after those who are opposed to him. I don't see any reason to believe there is anything more to any of this than that.

Are there crazies out there who have a problem with him because he is black? I am sure there are. Is that the basis for the rights opposition to him? No way.

The question is: is it ok to use racist imagery to attack a black guy, even though you disagree with him on grounds that are not related to his race? I'd say it is still racist.

Imagine Germany had a Jewish treasury minister who wanted to raise taxes and his opponents (who would oppose him for non-ethnic, economical reasons) depicted him in cartoons as a crook-nosed money-grabbing Jew. Surely that would be antisemitic (and probably attract much more furore).

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Other than our figures, I don't see what is so disgusting about the times.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

All that racism we kept so nicely tucked away is bubbling to the surface. We're showing our true colors.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2009, 02:56:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2009, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 02:26:48 PM
Seeing the town hall meetings with the daily shrieking white woman screaming "I want my country back" I'd say it's fairly widespread.

Uhhh, people screamed stuff like that when Bush was President.

They called him a stupid redneck, said he looked like a monkey, etc., but that's okay 'cuz he is a white guy.

Do you seriously fail to see the difference between using someone's race to attack him vs. using someone's non-race-related appearance as a basis of an attack?

Opposition to racism isn't just a part of some broader "let's be nice to each other" movement. Racism is considered much more evil than just being "impolite".

Jaron

The words arent as important as who they are being used against.

If you call your buddy a stupid faggot, its a playful insult, but it can be more damaging against a homo-sexual.

If they made a cartoon of Obama dressed as a maid serving dinner or something, it might get a few chuckles. If Hillary was the maid, it'd probably cause a bit of a furor with the feminist types.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 04:24:46 AM
The words arent as important as who they are being used against.

If you call your buddy a stupid faggot, its a playful insult, but it can be more damaging against a homo-sexual.

If they made a cartoon of Obama dressed as a maid serving dinner or something, it might get a few chuckles. If Hillary was the maid, it'd probably cause a bit of a furor with the feminist types.

Indeed.

People are acting as if the world was color (or gender-) blind. It isn't. And it means that you can't make one-size-fits all rules either. A cartoon showing a WASP grinding babies into food could be just an example of a more or less tasteless satire of his stance on something. A cartoon showing a Jew in the same situation would be (rightly) considered blood libel.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 04:19:34 AM
All that racism we kept so nicely tucked away is bubbling to the surface. We're showing our true colors.

When did we keep it nicely tucked away?

Razgovory

Remarkably Bush had fairly good poll numbers prior to 9/11.  Around the mid 50's.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_MRs_Nt465oE/RXzgJ00cVXI/AAAAAAAAAAk/taSqQWZ_jm0/s1600-h/BushFullTerm20061208.png

Not fantastic, but he wasn't exactly fantastic himself.  He doesn't seem to have gone below 50% in his first term much at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 19, 2009, 04:34:49 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 04:19:34 AM

When did we keep it nicely tucked away?

Since roughly the 70s?

Eddie Teach

Willie Horton, "Hymietown", Clarence Thomas, Rodney King, McCain's "nigger baby", Bush hate crimes commercial, attempt to not inaugurate Bush, Trent Lott's comments at Strom Thurmond's birthday, chronic anti-immigrant speeches, etc etc etc. Racially charged politics isn't something new with Obama.

Jaron

Wow, its like someone asked you to pitch and you turned around and threw it into the outfield. :blink:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 05:17:51 AM
Wow, its like someone asked you to pitch and you turned around and threw it into the outfield. :blink:

Get Marty to pitch for you, I'm not playing on that team.  :lol:

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Eddie Teach