US: We won't be building the missile shield in Poland

Started by Martinus, September 17, 2009, 07:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2009, 01:21:48 PM
And "old" and "new" just happened to be the entirely value-neutral terms that he employed to make this abstract point.   :)
And it follows from the use of "old" and "new" that Rumsfeld was trying to split Europe?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2009, 01:29:44 PM
And "old" and "new" just happened to be the entirely value-neutral terms that he employed to make this abstract point.   :)
And it follows from the use of "old" and "new" that Rumsfeld was trying to split Europe?

I thought that was the point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 01:43:42 PM
I thought that was the point.
QuoteRumsfeld's comment about new and old Europe was in response to a comment either by Chirac or that ding dong in the UNSC that "Europe is opposed to an invasion of Iraq."  Rumsfeld was pointing out that "Europe" was already split on the issue.  He wasn't trying to *create* a split, he was pointing out one that already existed when France tried to pretend that wasn't the case.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2009, 01:29:44 PM

it follows that he was trying to exploit a difference of opinion on a particular issue by making a much broader distinction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2009, 01:53:08 PM
it follows that he was trying to exploit a difference of opinion on a particular issue by making a much broader distinction.
Such as the distinction between long-standing members of the EU and recent entrants?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2009, 01:54:39 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2009, 01:53:08 PM
Such as the distinction between long-standing members of the EU and recent entrants?

Yes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2009, 12:55:56 PM
Rumsfeld's comment about new and old Europe was in response to a comment either by Chirac or that ding dong in the UNSC that "Europe is opposed to an invasion of Iraq."  Rumsfeld was pointing out that "Europe" was already split on the issue.  He wasn't trying to *create* a split, he was pointing out one that already existed when France tried to pretend that wasn't the case.

Right I thought he was trying to reduce France and co's diplomatic influence in Eastern Europe and bring them closer to the United States by making that distinction.  Granted it probably was a result of Franco-German opposition to the Iraq War.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

I wonder by whose taxonomy the UK should find itself in "new" Europe.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2009, 12:55:56 PM
Rumsfeld's comment about new and old Europe was in response to a comment either by Chirac or that ding dong in the UNSC that "Europe is opposed to an invasion of Iraq."  Rumsfeld was pointing out that "Europe" was already split on the issue.  He wasn't trying to *create* a split, he was pointing out one that already existed when France tried to pretend that wasn't the case.

:lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on September 18, 2009, 06:38:54 PM

They were late joiners to the Roman Empire.  :bowler:

Neil

Quote from: Warspite on September 18, 2009, 06:38:54 PM
They're not even really in Europe at all.  The UK, like the US, is itself.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Agelastus on September 18, 2009, 04:16:07 AM
It would appear that the reaction of the Czechs and Poles is exactly that which could have been predicted by your average kindergartner. It seems Obama is even more clueless about how to treat allies than his predecessors.

Yeah it is totally understandable to be furious that a ridiculously overpriced and useless boondoggle like the missle defense system, built in the incredibly unlikely scenario Iran decides to nuke Euroland, was cancelled.  I mean it was only a sign of Russia's insanity that they made such a big deal about this at all.

Wow I would be furious if one of our allies cancelled the building of a super expensive useless piece of shit designed to protect us from an enemy that is never likely to attack us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Huh? The shield was never intended to defend Europe.

Anyway, as I've said a zillion times, that money would've been better spent in humint, the USCG or customs officials.

citizen k

Quote from: Iormlund on September 19, 2009, 02:05:25 PM
Huh? The shield was never intended to defend Europe.

Of course it was otherwise it would have been set up in Greenland and Hawaii.  :rolleyes:

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2009, 02:01:06 PM
Yeah it is totally understandable to be furious that a ridiculously overpriced and useless boondoggle like the missle defense system, built in the incredibly unlikely scenario Iran decides to nuke Euroland, was cancelled.  I mean it was only a sign of Russia's insanity that they made such a big deal about this at all.

Wow I would be furious if one of our allies cancelled the building of a super expensive useless piece of shit designed to protect us from an enemy that is never likely to attack us.

Is this rant serious or just a joke? I really cannot tell sometimes... :huh:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."