Which second-generation dreadnought do you think looks best?

Started by Neil, September 16, 2009, 07:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which second-generation dreadnought do you think looks best?

Bretagne-class (France)
2 (5.1%)
Bayern-class (Germany)
8 (20.5%)
Conte di Cavour-class (Italy)
2 (5.1%)
Nagato-class (Japan)
8 (20.5%)
Queen Elizabeth-class (UK)
6 (15.4%)
Tennessee-class (USA)
13 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Neil

Bretagne:

Bayern:

Conte di Cavour:

Nagato:

Queen Elizabeth:

Tennessee:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Tennessee. The Provence's conn tower is sexy, though- would have won if it had a little more meat on the aft side.

P.S. - The Nagato's ugly; it looks like somebody stuck a pagoda on top of a boat.
Experience bij!

Agelastus

I may have to shoot myself for saying this, but the Bayern's a damned fine looking ship, better even than the Queen Elizabeth.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Stonewall

As cool and "modern" as the Tennessee looks, I think the Bayern is sleeker.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

sbr

Bayern looks like it rides too low in the water, not very intimidating.

The Nagato is horrible.

The Conte di Cavour is too symmetrical.

The other three are close but I go with the Tennessee, she looks more modern to me from the pics here.

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on September 17, 2009, 12:25:09 AM

The Nagato is horrible.

The other three are close but I go with the Tennessee, she looks more modern to me from the pics here.
Agreed.  Clipper bows FTW, and midships turrets FTL!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

2nd generation dreadnoughts don't have the sexy look of 4th generation dreadnoughts somehow. I find them all ugly.

Alatriste

Quote from: sbr on September 17, 2009, 12:25:09 AM

The Nagato is horrible.

Tennessee was truly more modern... clipper bow, burned oil rather than coal, the only ship in the poll without secondary artillery in barbettes... This photo is from USS California, belonging to the same class

Bayern is certainly sleek looking, but for me the better looking has to be either Tennessee or Queen Elisabeth, and I find something aesthetically very pleasing in Queen Elisabeth lines.

chipwich

Josquius

Toss up between the two amateur teams, Italy and Japan...
Went with Japan- it has a freaking pagoda! :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Pishtaco

Alatriste

Quote from: Pishtaco on September 17, 2009, 07:18:01 AM
Is that a clock on the front of the Tennessee?

It would seem so, but if it is really a clock every photo in this page was taken at noon

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/us_navy_pages/uss_tennessee_bb43.htm

In other words, I don't think it is a clock, but I would like to know what it is.

Neil

The 'clock' is part of the US fire control system of the time, used to communicate the enemy's range to other ships in the formation.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Pishtaco on September 17, 2009, 07:18:01 AM
Is that a clock on the front of the Tennessee?
Yes, of sorts - it was called a "range clock" and, as Neil notes, was part of the gunnery practices of the time.  Ships in a division would be assigned different colored dyes for their shells, and if, say, the Colorado's yellow-dyed salvos were straddling and the Tennessee's red ones were not, Tennessee would look at Colorado's range clock to see what range Colorado was using.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!