Wealthcare: Ayn Rand's Retardation. Damn you Spelling Nazis!

Started by Queequeg, September 15, 2009, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 02:21:47 PM
Really?
Yeah.  The only plays I could understand were The Tempest and The Merchant of Venice.  With Hamlet, I had to read verses over and over again to even get a basic idea of what was going on, and I eventually just gave up trying to read it.  Same deal with A Midsummer Night's Dream.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 08:01:03 AM
I find Shakespeare's writing impossible to understand.  :blush:

Oddly, I find that overall he's easier (though far from completely intelligeable, especially his sonnets) for me in the English original than the 18th century German translation that was the standard during my school time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2009, 12:47:50 PM
I enjoy a good Rand/Libertarian bashing thread.

On a forum owned by a "rabid libertarian" no less.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 16, 2009, 02:33:59 PM
Oddly, I find that overall he's easier (though far from completely intelligeable, especially his sonnets) for me in the English original than the 18th century German translation that was the standard during my school time.
The sonnets and Hamlet are just very difficult.  I find that really interesting though.  What is it about the 18th century German that's so frustrating?
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2009, 02:41:59 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 16, 2009, 02:33:59 PM
The sonnets and Hamlet are just very difficult.  I find that really interesting though.  What is it about the 18th century German that's so frustrating?

Vocabulary/grammar is somewhat different and outdated. There's been new attempts at translating the classics (same with Russian 19th century authros) into a more modern language while remaining adequate (i.e. trying to keep connotations etc. as best possible intact).

In English the vocabulary doesn't seem to have changed so much, and if grammar/syntax was different back then it was (or at least feels to me) closer yet to German.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 12:55:59 PMThat's actually not her position.  In The Fountainhead Howard Roark is shown to be a man who works his ass off to the exclusion of almost all else.  She values hard work a great deal.

That's not what I meant when I said "workers" and you know it.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2009, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 16, 2009, 12:20:04 PMHer idea of enterpeneur as hero (at least as it is presented in Atlas Shrugged) was taken from Victor Hugo.  She even includes the same sort of epilogue about factories collapsing without their great leader that Hugo uses in Les Miserable. :frog:

I thought Hugo was a fair bit more sympathetic to the workers and his point is that factory bosses owe a duty of care towards their workers, something which seems to be the antithesis of Rand's fuck the workers position.

You've never actualy read any Rand, have you?

The idea that she has a "fuck the workers" position is simply...ignorant.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2009, 03:13:07 PM

You mean having carnal knowledge of of a member of the proletariat would be beneath her standing?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2009, 03:05:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 12:55:59 PMThat's actually not her position.  In The Fountainhead Howard Roark is shown to be a man who works his ass off to the exclusion of almost all else.  She values hard work a great deal.

That's not what I meant when I said "workers" and you know it.
I honestly didn't know what you meant.  Do you mean that she doesn't value unskilled workers?  The poor?  Rand is no doubt an elitist and an unapologetic one, if that's what you're getting at.

Really, I think it's okay to like her books and not be some sort of card-carrying Objectivist, kind of like how people can enjoy studying the Bible and not be Christians.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on September 15, 2009, 09:51:56 PM
QuoteHer timing was perfect: the industry was booming, and she happened to have a chance encounter with the director Cecil B. DeMille--who, amazingly, gave a script-reading job to the young immigrant who had not yet quite mastered the English language.

That would go a long way towards explaining "Madam Satan."

Seriously, though, Rand had worked as a cast extra and in the wardrobe for years before being a script reader for DeMille.  Her first role as an extra was, amusingly enough, in King of Kings.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2009, 03:13:07 PMYou've never actualy read any Rand, have you?

Yeah, I have actually... I even went through a 15 minute phase where I thought she had a point.  Though it was a long time ago.

However, I am willing to defer to your more recent and probably more careful reading if you'd like.  What would you say are the salient points of Rand's thoughts?

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2009, 08:01:03 AM
I find Shakespeare's writing impossible to understand.  :blush:

You, Sir, are a moron.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2009, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2009, 03:13:07 PMYou've never actualy read any Rand, have you?

Yeah, I have actually... I even went through a 15 minute phase where I thought she had a point.  Though it was a long time ago.

However, I am willing to defer to your more recent and probably more careful reading if you'd like.  What would you say are the salient points of Rand's thoughts?

Why ask me? I am sure you can find any number of decent summations of her philosophy out there that will be vastly superior to anything I can give you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned