Wealthcare: Ayn Rand's Retardation. Damn you Spelling Nazis!

Started by Queequeg, September 15, 2009, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I think one can make a distinction between liking Rand's novels and liking Rand the person.  I don't really care about Rand the person one way or the other.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2009, 10:20:11 AM
The issue with her is not so much the actual positions she takes (which would slot her in roughly with the secular, libertarian, isolationist right) as the ways in which she advocates and justifies those positions and the vehemance and sheer nastiness used to brand opponents.
I have no issue with her as a person whatever.  I don't think she, as a person, is significant enough to my life or interests  that I need to inform myself sufficiently to take a position.  That is why i have restricted my postings in this thread, out of both ignorance and indifference.  I was just making one comment about one comment made about her "philosophy" which seemed to me to be erroneous. I understand that others feel differently, and I scan through the thread every now and again because there are some interesting things being said (I think I learned more about her by reading one paragraph by you than by reading two entire books by her).

So, carry on, but you'd be better-off addressing your arguments to those in a position to respond knowledgeably to them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

citizen k

Quote from: grumbler on September 18, 2009, 05:53:12 PM
... you'd be better-off addressing your arguments to those in a position to respond knowledgeably to them.

Well that eliminates me and most of Languish.   :cry:

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2009, 09:50:10 AM
Yes, I think this is completely accurate.  As I posted earlier, I don't think Rand ever argued that it was *wrong* to be charitable, but rather it was *wrong  to feel/be compelled* to be charitable.  Be as charitable as you want to, just so long as you're doing so because it makes you happy, and not because someone is trying to coerce you.  This is probably one of the reasons libertarians like her so much, since they tend to support charity-based welfare but despise government-mandated welfare.

By the way, I thought part of Objectivism was that charity was, in fact, morally "wrong" unless there was some particular self-interest.  Not that it should be illegal or prohibited or anything, but that people should act only in their self-interest and doing tthings not in that self-interest was "wrong".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2009, 06:47:43 PM
Yes, I think this is completely accurate.  As I posted earlier, I don't think Rand ever argued that it was *wrong* to be charitable, but rather it was *wrong  to feel/be compelled* to be charitable.  Be as charitable as you want to, just so long as you're doing so because it makes you happy, and not because someone is trying to coerce you.  This is probably one of the reasons libertarians like her so much, since they tend to support charity-based welfare but despise government-mandated welfare.

By the way, I thought part of Objectivism was that charity was, in fact, morally "wrong" unless there was some particular self-interest.  Not that it should be illegal or prohibited or anything, but that people should act only in their self-interest and doing tthings not in that self-interest was "wrong".

hmm.  It seems she has argued both ways at times.

http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/charity.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2009, 06:50:09 PM

In my ignorance, I no more expected her to be consistent in her fiction that I expected L. Ron Hubbard to be consistent in his.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2009, 06:50:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2009, 06:47:43 PM

I wonder if it's okay to do charity for very selfish reasons.  Such as create a poor house with the intention of raising an army or an orphanage to so you can experiment on little girls.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017