Which third-generation dreadnought do you think looks best?

Started by Neil, September 15, 2009, 07:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which third-generation dreadnought do you think looks best?

Dunkerque-class (France)
7 (16.7%)
Scharnhorst-class (Germany)
19 (45.2%)
Rodney-class (UK)
2 (4.8%)
North Carolina-class (USA)
14 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Putting North Carolina against Nelson seems somewhat arbitrary, given she is a contemporary of KGV.

Voted North Carolina on this poll; Nelson is just too ugly to be adequately described in words. Dunkerque has the same aesthetic flaws as Richelieu, and Scharnhorst looks top heavy.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on September 15, 2009, 07:30:11 PM
Putting North Carolina against Nelson seems somewhat arbitrary, given she is a contemporary of KGV.
I could have used either, really.  However, Rodney was the quintessential treaty battleship, and so deserved to be the British entry.

I've always defined the generations as:
1 - Early dreadnoughts - anything with a wing turret
2 - Superdreadnoughts - all-centerline main battery designed prior to or during WWI.
3 - Treaty dreadnoughts - built to the specifications of the Washington and London treaties.
4 - Post-treaty dreadnoughts - anything built after the end of the treaty or when people started cheating.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Agelastus on September 15, 2009, 07:30:11 PM
and Scharnhorst looks top heavy.

That's what makes it so very German.  Hell, their ships now are superstructure heavy.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

barkdreg

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

The picture of the North Carolina is much cooler than the others, almost makes it unfair.

The Scharnhorst has too much crap piled on top of it.

The Rodney is too minimalist.

Looking at other comparable pics of each of the last two I have to go with the Dunkerque.

Alatriste

Close call between Scharnhost and Dunkerque (far, far prettier than Richelieu, but that photo hides the not-so-attractive stern). Voted Scharnhost.

Syt

Been aboard the North Carolina, but I think Scharnhorst looks better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BVN

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Threviel