Any UK-based DVD online stores (other than amazon and HMV)?

Started by Martinus, September 15, 2009, 08:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm looking for some DVD online stores recommendations, alternative to amazon.co.uk or hmv.com.

It must be UK based for regional coding reasons and English language reasons.

I have been trying to get some of the rarer movies (Derek Jarman's Edward II, for example) but neither of the two is carrying them (well, they carry a Region 1 US version).  :(

Grey Fox

I think it would be easier for you to buy a Region free/less DVD player.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 15, 2009, 08:35:12 AM
I think it would be easier for you to buy a Region less DVD player.

I like to have movies that I can watch on my laptop, my iMac and obviously a DVD player, and that I can lend to my friends. That wouldn't work.

Grey Fox

First 2 options : Digital copy.
Friends option : lend them the player with it?

Neil

I recommend that you sue the DVD racket over the whole region thing.  There's got to be something in your faggoty Euro rights law that prevents that sort of thing.  God knows you guys make just about everything illegal, so give it a shot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

If the Dude wants to show off his pretentious movie collection, he has to do what's necessary.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on September 15, 2009, 08:41:36 AM
I recommend that you sue the DVD racket over the whole region thing.  There's got to be something in your faggoty Euro rights law that prevents that sort of thing.  God knows you guys make just about everything illegal, so give it a shot.
Unfortunately, the EU laws apply mostly to obstructions of trade within the EEA, not between the EEA and the outside world. I think because of the EU laws, the Region 2 coding must be viewable in the entire EU, at least, and can't be split (I think the Baltics used to have a different coding).

Brazen

This is the only Region 2 Edward II I could find, and it's on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-II-Region-2-DVD/dp/B000E8RGMS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1253023179&sr=1-3

Other good, cheap UK DVD resellers are Lovefilm and Asda. Check kelkoo.co.uk for price comparisons.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on September 15, 2009, 09:02:35 AM
This is the only Region 2 Edward II I could find, and it's on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edward-II-Region-2-DVD/dp/B000E8RGMS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1253023179&sr=1-3

Other good, cheap UK DVD resellers are Lovefilm and Asda. Check kelkoo.co.uk for price comparisons.
But it seems to be in Italian (or Spanish) :P

Ed Anger

You might want to check the Hong Kong retailers. I had to get Waterloo in Region 0(region-free)

I'll see if I can find the links later.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

The details says it's english.

Don't Region 2 dvd require like 5 languages anyway?

Valmy

Edward II was great, a dumb jock who loved fighting and conspiring but was too moronic to actually succeed at either.  He is sorta like the every-man trying to be like Edward I.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2009, 09:04:14 AM
But it seems to be in Italian (or Spanish) :P
When was the last time you bought a Region 2 DVD without having the option to select from a plethora of Euro languages?  :rolleyes:

You're just looking to throw a queenish hissy-fit, not for a solution :P