And we're back!

Main Menu

Sacrificial Virgins of the Mississippi

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 14, 2009, 04:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 14, 2009, 08:00:28 PM
OK.  So:

ACORN put the hit on the white people while Jaron plotted with the youngsters to destroy the town, but they were stopped when Belechik sacrificed virgins to Tonitrus.

I wish I had sacrificial virgins.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2009, 06:35:33 PM
So what you're trying to tell me is that ancient Native Americans were: human!?  Unpossible  :mad:

A purer natural human

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I have decided that I need a bigger tomb complex than originally planned.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

:D

Serious article.
Serious replies - 1
Jokes etc. - 16

Languish Lives!
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

I'm interested in reading that book. The native american urban cultures of north america have always interested me - it is a shame that they are not better known.

Most people are totally oblivious to their existence. If you ask most about "indians", they think of people on the cultural level of Apaches - not people building big urban centres, or even, in the case of the Anasazi, pre-columbian apartment buildings.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chaco_Canyon_Pueblo_Bonito_digital_reconstruction.jpg

http://www.cdarc.org/pages/what/resources/online_exhibit_chaco_2.php
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I'm not oblivious. :)

We have a site like that right here in the Louisville area called "Devil's Backbone".  It's located at the confluence of the Ohio River and Fourteen Mile Creek in Charlestown, Indiana. :cool:

Some fringe theorists think a Welsh dude named Prince Madoc built a fortress there circa 1170.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on September 15, 2009, 01:17:57 PM

Some fringe theorists think a Welsh dude named Prince Madoc built a fortress there circa 1170.  :huh:

A common theory among American settlers in the early 1800s was that there were large tribes of previously-Welshmen inhabiting the interior of North America. It's one of the things Meriwether Lewis and Jefferson discussed during the preparations for his trip to the Pacific. I honestly don't know where that theory originated.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

I'm not oblivious. :)

We have a site like that right here in the Louisville area called "Devil's Backbone".  It's located at the confluence of the Ohio River and Fourteen Mile Creek in Charlestown, Indiana. :cool:

It's a common thread: pretty well every impressive pre-columbian structure is alleged by someone to have been built by some sort of old world exiles or travellers.

The reason is that by the time White folks arrived, mostly before White folk ever even saw native cultures, they were decimated and reduced to a very low subsistance level of living (the exception was oddballs like de Soto) - mostly by epidemic diseases spreading well in advance of actual european observers.

Of course, many of these cultures had already mostly collapsed for reasons not fully known hundreds of years before Euros even showed up.

Naturally, many Euros thought that the local Indians, wretched as they were, could not possibly be the descendants of the people who built such elaborate structures.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 15, 2009, 01:22:31 PM

A common theory among American settlers in the early 1800s was that there were large tribes of previously-Welshmen inhabiting the interior of North America. It's one of the things Meriwether Lewis and Jefferson discussed during the preparations for his trip to the Pacific. I honestly don't know where that theory originated.

Have you ever been to Wales? It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the Valleys, terrorizing people with their close-harmony singing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 15, 2009, 01:22:31 PM
I do.  It's thought that Queen Elizabeth I's court advanced an earlier Welsh folktale (that possibly originated with the St. Brendan sagas from Ireland originally) to help concoct/justify claims on North America.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Malthus on September 15, 2009, 01:27:57 PM
Naturally, many Euros thought that the local Indians, wretched as they were, could not possibly be the descendants of the people who built such elaborate structures.

Angkor Wat was built by time traveling Space Romans.  :yes:

Malthus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 15, 2009, 01:56:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 15, 2009, 01:27:57 PM

I thought it was built by a time-travelling Gary Glitter.

At least, that's what he *said* he was doing there.

Caliga

All that being said, I think it's important to just not dismiss out of hand revisionist theories about alternate builders of cities, etc.  I'm sure alot of people laughed at Helge Ingstad as he began unearthing L'Anse aux Meadows.

Savonarola

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 15, 2009, 01:56:27 PM

They called themselves Space Romans, since they saw themselves as the direct heirs of the Space Roman Empire but most historians call them Space Byzantines.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock