News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Longest piece of music goes live

Started by jimmy olsen, September 12, 2009, 06:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 13, 2009, 02:02:20 AM
He wouldn't be the inspiration for the martial artist of the same name by any chance?  :D

Not according to Wikipedia:
QuoteCharacter development

The original name for Cage was going to be Michael Grimm, but it was changed during the development of the first game.[citation needed] Cage's "real name" came from Midway game artist John Carlton, who worked on the NBA Jam series.

Cage was initially modeled after actor Jean-Claude Van Damme, around whom Mortal Kombat creators Ed Boon and John Tobias initially wanted to center a new fighting game, but Van Damme had commitments to another company for a game that was never made. Cage's appearance in the first game was loosely based around Van Damme's portrayal of Dux Ryu Ninjutsu founder Frank Dux in the 1988 movie Bloodsport, from his outfit to his Split Punch. He would wear his trademark sunglasses only in his winning animations in the first two games, but never removed them in Mortal Kombat Trilogy and onward. Cage was exclusively recreated for Mortal Kombat Trilogy after Daniel Pesina was fired by Midway in 1994 for appearing dressed as Cage in an ad for the arcade game BloodStorm, and thus they couldn't use his sprite from Mortal Kombat II.[citation needed] He was replaced by Chris Alexander.

Since Deadly Alliance, Cage has been designed to look more like a Hollywood actor; he is made more muscular and his glasses become more stylish. His hair also changed to a shorter, dark brown style in Mortal Kombat 4, and later to a longer, tousled golden brown in Deadly Alliance and onward.

Cage was the lone character in the original Mortal Kombat who did not have a past history with any of the other characters. Though not determined, his lack of storyline may likely have played a part in his omission from several Mortal Kombat media adaptations. He is the only main character from the original game who did not appear in Jeff Rovin's 1995 novelization of Mortal Kombat nor in the Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm animated series although the latter was set during the Mortal Kombat 3 timeline which Cage was killed shortly before that event.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lucidor

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I normally played as Kano.

The sequels never did it for me though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2009, 06:33:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2009, 06:27:32 PM
You know what I mean.
Not really.  Lots of music introduces a theme or series of sounds and then recapitulates or rephrases that initial start.  Some twentieth century composers were really interested in repetition or ways of writing music that was effectively impersonal - which is what this sounds like given that it's done by computer.

Indeed. Most symphonies rely on a repetition of a relatively small number of different themes, and their interaction.

And of course there is Maurice Ravel's "Bolero", which I guess Timmy would have written off as well for not "being unique throughout". :P

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2009, 06:35:27 PM
Actually the music is both unique and not:
QuoteLongplayer chooses and combines these sections in such a way that no combination is repeated until exactly one thousand years has passed. At this point the composition arrives back at the point at which it first started. .

... and an inter-dimensional gate opens to the eye of chaos, allowing Azathoth the Blind God to devour the Earth. :cthulu:

saskganesh

meh. I don't think I'll  buy the CD.
humans were created in their own image

DontSayBanana

How the hell can you plagiarize a silent piece of music? That's one long rest, and 8 bars is the minimum for copyright infringement.
Experience bij!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011