News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Longest piece of music goes live

Started by jimmy olsen, September 12, 2009, 06:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

WTF? Does it just loop over and over, it can't possibly be unique the whole way through.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8252444.stm
Longest piece of music goes live

The world's longest piece of music is being performed live for the first time on a unique 20-metre-wide instrument at a concert at The Roundhouse in London.

The Longplayer is a 1,000-year-long composition by Jem Finer and is played out by computer at several public listening posts around the world.

It began playing on 31 December 1999 and will continue - without repetition - until the last moment of 2999.

The live performance will play a 1,000 minute section of the music.

The performance began on Saturday morning and continue until the early hours of Sunday morning.

It was in 2002 that Finer - who was also one of the founding members of pop group The Pogues - developed a score for the music.

It allows the piece to be played as an orchestral installation comprising of six concentric rings of Tibetan singing bowls.

It is this arrangement that is being performed at the Roundhouse concert.

The Longplayer is continually played out at its flagship location, the Lighthouse in Trinity Buoy Wharf in London, but listening posts are also stationed in Australia, Egypt and the US.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on September 12, 2009, 06:08:26 PM
It'll stop when the power goes out.

It is powered by Timmayesque retarded exuberance. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on September 12, 2009, 06:11:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 12, 2009, 06:08:26 PM
It'll stop when the power goes out.

It is powered by Timmayesque retarded exuberance. :contract:
Then it'll stop when humanity becomes extinct, which will be well before 2999.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

OK....WTF.
Sounds dumb, they couldn't possibly have written such a thing.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2009, 06:07:01 PM
WTF? Does it just loop over and over, it can't possibly be unique the whole way through.
No piece of music is unique the whole way through :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

It began playing on 31 December 1999 and will continue - without repetition - until the last moment of 2999.

Somehow I don't find this very likely

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2009, 06:24:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2009, 06:07:01 PM
No piece of music is unique the whole way through :mellow:
You know what I mean.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2009, 06:27:32 PM
You know what I mean.
Not really.  Lots of music introduces a theme or series of sounds and then recapitulates or rephrases that initial start.  Some twentieth century composers were really interested in repetition or ways of writing music that was effectively impersonal - which is what this sounds like given that it's done by computer.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Actually the music is both unique and not:
QuoteThe composition of Longplayer results from the application of simple and precise rules to six short pieces of music. Six sections from these pieces – one from each – are playing simultaneously at all times. Longplayer chooses and combines these sections in such a way that no combination is repeated until exactly one thousand years has passed. At this point the composition arrives back at the point at which it first started. In effect Longplayer is an infinite piece of music repeating every thousand years – a millennial loop.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on September 12, 2009, 06:13:23 PM
when humanity becomes extinct, which will be well before 2999.

50 bucks says you're wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 12, 2009, 08:19:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 12, 2009, 06:13:23 PM
when humanity becomes extinct, which will be well before 2999.

50 bucks says you're wrong.
Done.

Let me know where you bank so that I can take the money out of the abandoned vault in the bleak, empty future to come.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

1000 years? That beats this German 639-year composition. :(
First notes for 639-year composition
QuoteThe first notes in the longest and slowest piece of music in history, designed to go on for 639 years, are being played on a German church organ on Wednesday.

The three notes, which will last for a year-and-a-half, are just the start of the piece, called As Slow As Possible.

Composed by late avant-garde composer John Cage, who died in 1992, the performance has already been going for 17 months - although all that has been heard so far is the sound of the organ's bellows being inflated.

The music will be played in Halberstadt, a small town renowned for its ancient organs in central Germany.

It was originally a 20-minute piece for piano, but a group of musicians and philosophers decided to take the title literally and work out how long the longest possible piece of music could last.

They settled on 639 years because the Halberstadt organ was 639 years old in the year 2000.

"We started discussing - what is as slow as possible for the organ?" Swedish composer and organist Hans-Ola Ericsson told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"We, a group of theologians, musicologists, philosophers, composers and organists, met during a couple of years solely to discuss this question. It was rather wonderful to have one topic to discuss at length."

"We came up with the answer that the piece could last for the duration of the organ - that is the lifetime of an organ."

Mr Ericsson said John Cage would have liked what they had done with it.

"It's a sound that we give to the future to take care of, and hopefully the aesthetics and the ideas of John Cage will manage to survive."

The first note is due to be struck at 1800 local time (1700 GMT) on Wednesday.

The performance follows a legal case in which composer Mike Batt was forced to pay a six-figure sum to Cage's publishers, who accused him of plagiarising a silent piece of music.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

He wouldn't be the inspiration for the martial artist of the same name by any chance?  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?