News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Started by Valdemar, September 11, 2009, 02:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2010, 05:14:39 PM
It's hard to say.  The movie only came out a month ago.  Did people realize how much Star Wars would resonate one month later?  Were people able to quote large portions of the movie after seeing it the first time?

After seeing the movie all my friends and I were saying stuff like "May the force be with you" etc. and soon all the adults were doing it too.   Everyone knew the theme song (I cant remember if Avatar even had one) everyone understood references to the movie (for example all you would have to do is make a heavy breathing sound and everyone understood you meant Darth Vader.)   It was a huge cultural phenomenon. 

Also remember this is long before the time of movie rentals.   people picked up on these cultural cues not because they memorized the movie but because everyone around them was reinforcing the cultural cues.

Neil

Well, like it or not, it's the biggest movie of the decade, by far.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fate

Bullshit.

The biggest movie is always the next Harry Potter.

Syt

Good points, CC. The only line I'd be able to quote right away would be, "I see you" and maybe some Colonel's rantings.

Then again, I never watched Titanic, but I do know the "I'm the king of the world scene", the nude drawing scene and the drowning scene. And the theme song. :x
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

There was dialogue in Avatar?

Admiral Yi

"How do you know that the [big yellow flying thing] has accepted you?"

"It tries to kill you."

That's all I can remember.

Monoriu

My problems with the film:

You see the plot from a mile away.
It is always a good idea to nuke from orbit, just to be sure. 
I root for the skypeople, and I know they'll lose.

Otherwise, I was entertained thoroughly. 

Grey Fox

I still haven't seen it. Still Sold out. Unbelievable.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Checking a few random theaters and IMAX the "good seats" (mid center) in most venues seem to be sold out till mid of next week at least.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Assigned seats in movie theaters are sign of a decadent society!

Siege

Well, I don't think you can really compare Star Wars with Avatar.

I mean, this is the internet age, people don't get culturally shocked by a movie anymore. Movies are no longer that big of a cultural event. I think that for this age, Avatar is really the equivalent of Star Wars, but a direct comparisson is doomed to fail because of the obvious diferences in perception.

I, if I were to chose a movie as the most important of the decade, I would still go with the original Matrix.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 21, 2010, 07:26:51 AM

Non assigned movie seats are awful  :x

Grey Fox

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 21, 2010, 08:14:32 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 21, 2010, 07:26:51 AM

Non assigned movie seats are awful  :x

That's because you live in Asia, where they have no consideration for their fellowman.

DisturbedPervert

It's wonderful.  I always pick seats so no one is near me.  And I can see at purchase if its too crowded and pick another time or another movie.

The Larch

Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2010, 08:04:09 AMMovies are no longer that big of a cultural event.

LOTR and Harry Potter fans that had no qualms on dressing up for their respective opening days might disagree with that. If anything, the internet age magnifies the cultural impact of movies.