And we're back!

Main Menu

Started by Valdemar, September 11, 2009, 02:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

Quote from: Fate on December 21, 2009, 12:04:31 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2009, 06:23:04 PM
Is there a 3D humping scene?

Unfortunately there was a 3D dry humping scene.

But it was very short and unimpressive.
I want my mother fucking points!

katmai

Quote from: Korea on December 21, 2009, 04:31:32 PM

Poor Ide always being disparaged when he isn't around to defend himself.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Korea

Quote from: katmai on December 21, 2009, 04:33:55 PM
Quote from: Korea on December 21, 2009, 04:31:32 PM

Poor Ide always being disparaged when he isn't around to defend himself.
:D
I want my mother fucking points!

Fate

Quote from: crazy canuck
First, these were not marines with the resources they might have at their disposal.  These were a bunch of ex marines who were acting as security for a company mining operation.

No, these poor ex-marines just have near light speed space ships, 20 foot tall mechanized battle suits, rockets, and machine guns. They'd never have a chance against 2000 smurfs with bow and arrows!

Second, given that it was a mining operation, the company still needed to have people on the ground to you know, mine..... so any kind of persistent biological/nuclear option was out.
Since when does a company bent on profit and the genocide of primitives give a shit about the radiation levels that their employees are exposed to? No wait, this is a god damn galaxy spanning civilization, let's just use orbital mass drivers to bombard the surface with asteroids without the long lasting radiation to worry about afterward.

Third, they did think they were going in with overwelming force so why would they have nuked from orbit?
You nuke from orbit once it's clear that your base defended by a legion of 20 foot tall mechanized battle suits, rockets, and machine guns has been compromised by Pocahontas and her merry band of Smurfs. If unobtainium mining is going to end, then you must exterminate the planet's population on the principle that no one fucks with the Corporation and gets away with it.

Slargos

I seldom find myself needing to say this, but I am in complete agreement with Fate on this particular point of the discussion.

However, I still loved the movie.

Kleves

*May contain spoilers*

The 3D was awesome. The story was almost offensively stupid. The humans are painted as genocidal monsters (the greatest glory any character can achieve is to cease to be human, and become a native) while the natives are ludicrously glorified. Their god is even shown to be real, for fuck's sake. In the end. we're invited to celebrate the potential destruction of humanity, and the ascendency of the blue hippies. The movie had a great deal of potential, but threw it away.

If you feel you have to see it, see it in 3D. Don't see it otherwise.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Just came back from seeing it.  In 2D unfortunately, as my brother said 3D makes him hurl.

4 1/2 stars.  The effects are seemless.  The planet is fully imagined.  Plotwise I was expecting a Green Peace sermon and was pleasantly surprised.  No big plot holes, no jaw-dropping dialogue.  Will see it again in 3D when I get back to Iowa.

SPOILERS

The plexiglas piercing arrows were a cop out.  They should have trimmed the first time flying scene by 3 minutes.  The giganitc BattleTech hunting knife was pretty retarded.  I could have done without the shaking around the Magic Tree scenes.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2009, 05:24:57 PM
Just came back from seeing it.  In 2D unfortunately, as my brother said 3D makes him hurl.

4 1/2 stars.  The effects are seemless.  The planet is fully imagined.  Plotwise I was expecting a Green Peace sermon and was pleasantly surprised.  No big plot holes, no jaw-dropping dialogue.  Will see it again in 3D when I get back to Iowa.

SPOILERS

The plexiglas piercing arrows were a cop out.  They should have trimmed the first time flying scene by 3 minutes.  The giganitc BattleTech hunting knife was pretty retarded.  I could have done without the shaking around the Magic Tree scenes.

I normally get dizzy when I see 3d or surround screens but I didnt have any trouble with this - probably because of the high quality.  Your brother should give it a try.

btw I loved the shaking around the tree scene...

Admiral Yi

Slargos

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

WTF? This report can't be serious can it?

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2239576/entry/12/
QuoteAvatar Rising as Potential Oscar Pick

James Cameron's latest blockbuster, Avatar, opened only last week, but it already appears poised to rake in Oscar gold. Hollywood pundits predict the epic tale will garner eight or nine nominations, according to the Los Angeles Times. But more tantalizing to amateur handicappers is the possibility that Avatar could win best picture. Judging by the buzz, " 'Avatar' seems strongly positioned to win Oscar's heart with its strong environmental and social messages, its not-so-thinly-veiled Bush bashing and, most important, its technological breakthroughs," says the LAT. The New York Times' Carpetbagger blog seconds the sentiment: "The screenings are full, the reactions uninhibited, the Up in the Air and Hurt Locker people should start sweating."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2009, 01:29:24 AM
WTF? This report can't be serious can it?

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2239576/entry/12/
QuoteAvatar Rising as Potential Oscar Pick

James Cameron's latest blockbuster, Avatar, opened only last week, but it already appears poised to rake in Oscar gold. Hollywood pundits predict the epic tale will garner eight or nine nominations, according to the Los Angeles Times. But more tantalizing to amateur handicappers is the possibility that Avatar could win best picture. Judging by the buzz, " 'Avatar' seems strongly positioned to win Oscar's heart with its strong environmental and social messages, its not-so-thinly-veiled Bush bashing and, most important, its technological breakthroughs," says the LAT. The New York Times' Carpetbagger blog seconds the sentiment: "The screenings are full, the reactions uninhibited, the Up in the Air and Hurt Locker people should start sweating."

If Titanic could win best picture, I don't see why this couldn't.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point