The Prince Napoleon
11 (36.7%)
The Duke of Anjou
19 (63.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2009, 12:42:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2009, 09:12:27 AM
I think the issue is somewhat irrelevant, because Hitler was planning on administering the chaotic remains of the Soviet Empire, not fighting an increasingly-vicious war, by the time he reached Moscow. That's a task on a whole different level. Presumably there would still be supply problems, but these would mostly be born by the starving Soviet citizenry - something to which Hitler was, of course, totally indifferent.

the issue was irrelevant for Napoleon too because he expected the Russians to offer terms long before his army got near Moscow.

In both cases, the lack of a Plan B proved problematic to say the least.

Yup. And my point is that it follows that Hitler's biggest mistake (assuming a Plan B wasn't in the works) was to act in such a manner as to ensure that Plan A would fail.

Whether or not Stalin fell, there was simply no incentive on the part of the Russians to offer terms, because it was obvious what Nazi domination would be like.

Thing is, mounting a credible case for capitulation would have required the Nazis to be other than what they were. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

saskganesh

Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 02:40:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 02:34:16 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 02:31:52 PM
Yeah.  Any projections of the Red Army based on the Winter War would assume it would be like Poland all over again.

Except that the Soviet Union is huge and had a far bigger population than Germany?  Heck just walking his army to Moscow was going to take several months even without that pesky Red Army in the way.

Less than 700 miles from Brest-Litovsk to Moscow, isn't it?  That's like 1 month at 20 miles a day, which is a doable march.

During the Fall of France, the German panzer spearheads apparently advanced an average of  7 miles a day... same pace as La Grande Armee during the Ulm encirclement.

20 miles a day, of 100,000's of men, in hostile country, would be a supreme logistical and operational achievement. thing is the Germans almost did it.
humans were created in their own image

Oexmelin

The head of the Bonaparte house was/is a politician who professed his republican beliefs. His father therefore put in his will that the informal title should go to his great-son.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 10, 2009, 09:36:27 PM
The head of the Bonaparte house was/is a politician who professed his republican beliefs.

As did at various times, both imperial Napoleons.
The hallmark of all successful Bonapartes has been a profession of republican belief. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2009, 09:54:15 PM
The head of the Bonaparte house was/is a politician who professed his republican beliefs.

The hallmark of all successful Bonapartes has been a profession of republican belief.

Indeed, but somehow, I don't see Bayrou's party as a great stepping stone to a successful coup.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2009, 09:54:15 PM

Rather, one might say that the hallmark of all successful Bonapartes is an ambition that will have them say or do anything to advance themselves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

dps

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2009, 09:12:27 AM
I think the issue is somewhat irrelevant, because Hitler was planning on administering the chaotic remains of the Soviet Empire, not fighting an increasingly-vicious war, by the time he reached Moscow. That's a task on a whole different level. Presumably there would still be supply problems, but these would mostly be born by the starving Soviet citizenry - something to which Hitler was, of course, totally indifferent.

Yeah, the notion that the Germans didn't have any winter gear (or at least very little of it) is a myth.  They had plenty of cold weather gear.  The problem was that it was almost all in stockpiles in Germany, not with the armies in Russia.  Because the plan was, by the time cold weather set in, the Soviets would have already collapsed, and the armies would just be serving on occupation duty, with some mopping up of diehard holdouts, so their requirements for motor fuel and combat supplies would be drastically reduced, freeing up plenty of capacity to send them heavy coats and heating supplies.

Razgovory

I imagine if Hitler had focused on capturing Moscow we would cite his obsession with capturing that city rather then trying to destroy Soviet armies in the field as the main cause of his defeat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 10, 2009, 09:59:44 PM
Indeed, but somehow, I don't see Bayrou's party as a great stepping stone to a successful coup.

Is that where he is now?  That is not very promising.
That grouping always struck me as soft Gaullism without the Bonapartist trappings, so odd choice for a Napoleon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson