News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama speaks... does Languish listen?

Started by Kleves, September 09, 2009, 08:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Anyone else watch his speech tonight? I only caught the tail end, which seemed pretty weak, and mostly a rehash of his earlier speeches. As i said, though, I only came in at the end. What says Languish?

Here's an early summary:
QuotePresident Obama on Wednesday backed a health insurance mandate, saying Americans should be required to get health insurance just as they are required to get auto insurance.

Obama opposed the idea during the presidential campaign, but offered his public support as he laid out new details of his plan in a bid to jump-start the debate.

"Improving our health care system only works if everybody does their part," the president said.

Obama also urged Congress to stop "bickering" over health care reform and get to work fixing a system that is at its "breaking point." Declaring it is "time to deliver," the president said he is "determined" to break the gridlock and forge a deal on health care reform that has been decades in the making.

The president spoke during a rare address to a joint session of Congress, a day after lawmakers returned from a rocky summer recess during which constituents flooded town hall meetings to voice their concerns about the bills on the table.

In the face of public discontent, sagging poll numbers and stiff Republican opposition, Obama is trying to invigorate the push for reform -- even as he feels resistance from some members of his own party.

"The time for bickering is over. The time for games has passed. Now is the season for action," Obama said. "Now is when we must bring the best ideas of both parties together ... Now is the time to deliver on health care."

Obama is stressing his resolve to bring lawmakers together and clear away hurdles to passing an overhaul package.

"I am not the first president to take up this cause, but I am determined to be the last," Obama said.

But striking a combative tone, Obama took a firm stance against those he claims are stonewalling the process for political reasons.

"We've seen Washington at its best and at its worst. We have seen many in this chamber work tirelessly for the better part of this year to offer thoughtful ideas about how to achieve reform," Obama said. "But what we have also seen in these last months is the same partisan spectacle that only hardens the disdain many Americans have toward their own government. Instead of honest debate, we've seen scare tactics. Some have dug into unyielding ideological camps that offer no hope of compromise."
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

ulmont

I have avoided Presidential speeches* like the plague since as long as I can remember (Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama), and I see no reason to change this policy.

*Well, political speeches generally. 

"Jobs, education, healthcare, defense..."

*snore*

jimmy olsen

I saw a good portion of it, but when he started repeating himself in different language I turned it off.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

I clicked through it.  I lasted about one sentence because Congressional tourettes kicked in and they all started ovating :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Kleves

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2009, 08:14:10 PM
Sorry, I was busy watching SYTYCD.
It saddens me that I can figure out what that stands for.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2009, 08:13:51 PM
I clicked through it.  I lasted about one sentence because Congressional tourettes kicked in and they all started ovating :bleeding:
I read this as ovulating the first time through.  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on September 09, 2009, 08:16:05 PM

Meh, they run ads frequently enough. More sad that Grey Fox watches it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 09, 2009, 08:18:43 PM

Is that like Strictly Come Dancing?  If so I'll defend GF to the grave.  A great show :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2009, 08:20:55 PM

Is that like Strictly Come Dancing?  If so I'll defend GF to the grave.  A great show :wub:
What the hell is that?

I dind't watch. I don't have cable and decided that watching old MST3k shorts on youtube would be more enlightening than listening to a rambling politician.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 09, 2009, 08:22:27 PM
What the hell is that?

There used to be a BBC show called Come Dancing, which was like a ballroom dancing contest for amateurs.  Strictly Come Dancing is like it renovated.  So instead of amateurs, minor celebrities who are paired with a professional dancer who choreographs and trains.  They add some wonderfully surreal judges and a public vote and hit TV gold :wub: :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Barry's best speech since the 2004 convention, IMHO.

But short on specifics.  Stupid red meat throw to the GOP on malpractice reform, which is a real problem like fucking elven cobblers eliminating the call for fine footwear.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

More like original Come Dancing but with all genres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_You_Think_You_Can_Dance_(disambiguation)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on September 09, 2009, 08:07:11 PM
Anyone else watch his speech tonight? I only caught the tail end, which seemed pretty weak, and mostly a rehash of his earlier speeches. As i said, though, I only came in at the end. What says Languish?

Here's an early summary:

I already voted for him, I don't have to listen anymore.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Lol, strictly come.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)