News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fairy Tales may be Ancient, Researcher Says

Started by Malthus, September 09, 2009, 05:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

This is interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6142964/Fairy-tales-have-ancient-origin.html

In summary: a researcher has tabulated various versions of fairy tales like little red riding hood, and claims that the story has a "common ancestor" more than two millenia old:

QuoteContrary to the view that the tale originated in France shortly before Charles Perrault produced the first written version in the 17th century, Dr Tehrani found that the varients shared a common ancestor dating back more than 2,600 years.

What i'm not so sure about is: diffusion, or independant invention? Maybe the story arises in various times because it contains themes appealing to people across a wide range of cultures. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I think it's likely that it's just general themes.  Someone bad is using deception to hurt someone.  Greeks and Aztecs had divine twins in their mythology though I doubt they came from the same source.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Great, Spellus is going to pontificate on more useless ancient shit now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Now, I admit it's possible I got this idea originally from fantasy authors (especially Pratchett and Gaiman), but I thought this was a well-established fact. :P

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2009, 05:07:25 PM
I think it's likely that it's just general themes.  Someone bad is using deception to hurt someone.  Greeks and Aztecs had divine twins in their mythology though I doubt they came from the same source.

Bollocks. What are the chances of that happening? Its clearly evidence for the ancient Atlantean civilization.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2009, 05:17:09 PM
Bollocks. What are the chances of that happening? Its clearly evidence for the ancient Atlantean civilization.
OMG GET GRAHAM HANCOCK ON THE BAT PHONE  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Chariots of the Gods people! Aliens are responsible for this.
PDH!

saskganesh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 09, 2009, 06:02:24 PM
Variation on Jungian archetypes?
yeah, seems to be. it's well established that certain myths, with local variations,  recur throughout time and cultures. the idea that they are rooted in our specie's deep mental makeup is fascinating.

humans were created in their own image

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

swallow

Quote from: saskganesh on September 09, 2009, 09:42:17 PM
yeah, seems to be. it's well established that certain myths, with local variations,  recur throughout time and cultures. the idea that they are rooted in our specie's deep mental makeup is fascinating.
Almost the next step along from instinct - complex brains? - maybe as a way of reacting more quickly to a set situation - and surviving etc etc

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 09, 2009, 09:44:02 PM
I thought that was common knowledge. :unsure:

I think it was common supposition. I remember debating with Minsky on a similar point a while ago.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on September 09, 2009, 09:42:17 PM

This is the question: archetype, diffusion, or a mix?

Razgovory

I thought that had to do with some universal conscience
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017