Main Menu

Fairy Tales may be Ancient, Researcher Says

Started by Malthus, September 09, 2009, 05:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2009, 07:58:43 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 09, 2009, 09:44:02 PM
I thought that was common knowledge. :unsure:

I think it was common supposition. I remember debating with Minsky on a similar point a while ago.

I think it was a little different - it was a question of textual integrity over time which has some implications for the discussion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2009, 09:03:22 AM
I think it was a little different - it was a question of textual integrity over time which has some implications for the discussion.

This latest article beings up similar issues. Is the 2,000 year old story "the same story"? Diffusion, inspiration or invention?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I heard about the "very old fairy tales" in the 80s. Not news!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2009, 08:36:39 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 09, 2009, 06:02:24 PM
Variation on Jungian archetypes?

I thought that had to do with some universal conscience
At its heart? Been a few years since I read his books.  But he did believe, and there is some evidence to support it, that certain common beliefs pervade cultures throughout history. 

Frodo, Harry Potter, Arthur, Merlin, Dumbledoor, Gandalf are all examples.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 10, 2009, 11:11:47 AM
At its heart? Been a few years since I read his books.  But he did believe, and there is some evidence to support it, that certain common beliefs pervade cultures throughout history. 

Examples of what?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 10, 2009, 11:16:59 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 10, 2009, 11:11:47 AM

Examples of what?  :lol:

:huh: Homosexuals.

Brazen

That they're older, sure. But two thousand years old? Us outlying Europeans still thought iron was a pretty ground-breaking concept, where the more "civilised" cultures already had highly formalised literature.

The Brain

Quote from: Brazen on September 10, 2009, 11:31:27 AM
That they're older, sure. But two thousand years old? Us outlying Europeans still thought iron was a pretty ground-breaking concept, where the more "civilised" cultures already had highly formalised literature.

:mellow: This isn't news, 'sall.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2009, 09:07:01 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2009, 09:03:22 AM

This latest article beings up similar issues. Is the 2,000 year old story "the same story"? Diffusion, inspiration or invention?

The article presumes that even if there is diffusion going on, there isn't much in way of textual integrity; the theme remains but the text keeps morphing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson