The Prince Napoleon
11 (36.7%)
The Duke of Anjou
19 (63.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 02:19:25 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2009, 02:17:09 PM
Ok, Mister Killjoy.  Next you're going to insist that General Winter defeated Hitler.  :rolleyes:

Hitler taking it for granted he would somehow defeat the Soviet Union in just a few months so he did not send his army any winter gear was more the problem.

I am still baffled by that.  How could anybody have thought that campaign would have gone better than it actually did for the Germans is beyond me.

Not me: the assumption was that the Soviets would collapse like a house of cards once they had been dealt a staggering blow, and that the staggering blow would be easy to deliver because the Soviet army was worthless, its general staff filled with incompetent bootlickers and toadies, and badly positioned along an indefensible front.

It wasn't an unreasonable assumption, given the lamentable performance of the Soviets vs. tiny Finland, and the general incompetence, rigid centralization and cruelty of the Soviet system.

What Hitler failed to realize was the incredible hatred and will to resist his own acts inspired.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2009, 02:26:44 PM
It wasn't an unreasonable assumption, given the lamentable performance of the Soviets vs. tiny Finland

Yeah.  Any projections of the Red Army based on the Winter War would assume it would be like Poland all over again.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 02:31:52 PM
Yeah.  Any projections of the Red Army based on the Winter War would assume it would be like Poland all over again.

Except that the Soviet Union is huge and had a far bigger population than Germany?  Heck just walking his army to Moscow was going to take several months even without that pesky Red Army in the way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 02:34:16 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 02:31:52 PM

Except that the Soviet Union is huge and had a far bigger population than Germany?  Heck just walking his army to Moscow was going to take several months even without that pesky Red Army in the way.

Less than 700 miles from Brest-Litovsk to Moscow, isn't it?  That's like 1 month at 20 miles a day, which is a doable march.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 02:19:25 PM
I am still baffled by that.  How could anybody have thought that campaign would have gone better than it actually did for the Germans is beyond me.

Wargame designer Ted Raicer is of the opinion that the Germans actually underperformed in Barbarossa.  :smarty:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Wargame designer Ted Raicer also thinks that armies instantly vaporize when their supply lines are cut, so I wouldn't put much weight on his opinions.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2009, 02:59:18 PM
Wargame designer Ted Raicer also thinks that armies instantly vaporize when their supply lines are cut, so I wouldn't put much weight on his opinions.

They only vaporize at the end of the turn.   -_-
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2009, 02:59:18 PM

While real armies get vaporized when they are out of supply, have spent their reserves and ammunition and get attacked by a Soviet Guards Banner Army.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 02:40:37 PM
Less than 700 miles from Brest-Litovsk to Moscow, isn't it?  That's like 1 month at 20 miles a day, which is a doable march.

And then you are in an abandoned Moscow in the middle of winter.

We all know how well that worked for Napoleon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 09, 2009, 05:49:02 PM

Thanks to James Watt and Nikolaus Otto, Hitler's ability to supply his troops in the field was much more robust, compared to Napoleon's.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on September 09, 2009, 06:55:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 09, 2009, 05:49:02 PM

Thanks to James Watt and Nikolaus Otto, Hitler's ability to supply his troops in the field was much more robust, compared to Napoleon's.

Quite the opposite - thanks to those men it was less robust because in addition to all the supply needs that Napoleon required, and the additional supply needs of heavy artillery, he also had to supply vast quantities of gasoline and aviation fuel to front line units to maintain effectiveness.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

BuddhaRhubarb

@Timmay
ooh burn :P You'd better wear a cup next time you see Kat.
:p

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 09, 2009, 09:46:47 PM
Quite the opposite - thanks to those men it was less robust because in addition to all the supply needs that Napoleon required, and the additional supply needs of heavy artillery, he also had to supply vast quantities of gasoline and aviation fuel to front line units to maintain effectiveness.
Be that as it may, they allowed supplies to be marshalled and transported much more efficiently.  While demand increased, transport capacity increased even more.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.