News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Telescope Recommendations?

Started by Ed Anger, September 08, 2009, 11:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm thinking of getting a telescope for the kids (start 'em early on the science I say) and I thought I would I ask the biggest concentration of nerds, geeks, dorks and dweebs I know (Languish) Which telescope would you recommend?

Nothing over 500 clams and nothing I have to assemble out of wire, old mirrors and loose parts.

Looks like Bushnell and Celestron are the major brands.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I've always liked Bushnell because I used to have a crush on a girl whose surname was Bushnell.  Therefore, go with Bushnell.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Definatly go for one of those ones with a computer in it/can be connected to a computer and automatically point themselves at objects.
Finding stuff manually is HARD.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2009, 11:55:44 AM
I've always liked Bushnell because I used to have a crush on a girl whose surname was Bushnell.  Therefore, go with Bushnell.

Right.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2009, 11:56:41 AM
Definatly go for one of those ones with a computer in it/can be connected to a computer and automatically point themselves at objects.

Manual sounds like more fun.

Oexmelin

Anyway, you can download this to help you point at the right stars: http://www.stellarium.org/
Que le grand cric me croque !

Ed Anger

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 08, 2009, 02:38:09 PM
Anyway, you can download this to help you point at the right stars: http://www.stellarium.org/

Thanks. I can use that on my netbook.

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 08, 2009, 11:24:51 AM
I'm thinking of getting a telescope for the kids (start 'em early on the science I say)
"Science", sure.  :yeahright:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2009, 11:55:44 AM

Did you peer through her window using one?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2009, 04:52:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 08, 2009, 11:24:51 AM
I'm thinking of getting a telescope for the kids (start 'em early on the science I say)
"Science", sure.  :yeahright:

Just because you're a pervert doesn't mean all of us are.

HisMajestyBOB

Don't go too cheap.

Actually a good pair of binoculars will let you see Jupiter's moons. Not as good as a 9 inch reflecting telescope (what my dad has - it's great), but a lot cheaper. Go for 8x40.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Also, the "Bad Astronomer" has a bunch of links on his site on telescope buying.
He knows way more about this than I do: http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/scopefaq.html
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 08, 2009, 02:32:56 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2009, 11:56:41 AM

Manual sounds like more fun.

Make 'em work for that knowledge.  :D

Monoriu

I used to be able to see stars with my naked eye when I was a kid.  Now, it is no longer possible, with the city becoming, err, better lit.  When I go on trips, I treasure the moments when I can see stars again. 

Tonitrus

One of the basic rules, is that for a good scope, you want one that draws in the most light, not so much magnification power (which will make the view very dim).  Usually scopes that advertise how they have "ZOMG 500x power!" are trying to rip you off.

Also keep in mind, that stars will always be little dots of light, you might be able to barely make out Jupiter's moons and the color bands, and tha nebula will be fuzzy little gray clouds.  All those splashes of color you see in magazines are massively touched up (and the color mostly fake).

There are three basic types:

- Refractors: these are the ones most people usually think of; a long, narrow tube.
- Reflectors(Dobsonian): What can be big sons-of-bitches...a giant tube resting on the ground.
- Cassegrains: The wide, short ones you usually see as "upscale" scopes attached to computers and such.

I have one of these...

..., a Muskatov-Cassegrain(though with a less-fancy tripod that lets you point it at stuff on Earth).

The Maksutov-Cassegrain scopes are good in that they're small/portable, and show a "correct" (right-side up) image, (so it can double as a spotting scope for terrestrial objects). 

Also note, that with telescopes, for various views, you will need to buy eyepieces.  And like a DSLR camera, these can cost just as much, or more, than the telescope itself.  These can also affect the field-of-view (how much sky you see), which is often nicer than "moar power!".  Telescope nerds will also tell you that lens-coatings are important, and they may be right.

Bushnell is an "ok" brand, but also sells a lot of cheap crap.  Celestron is the "major" popular brand.  I have an "Orion", they're pretty good, and their catalogs will provide lots of good info on what to look for in scopes(though, to sell theirs too, of course).   But they also do sell Bushnell and Celestron brands.

www.telescope.com

As said, finding stuff can be hard, and the computerized ones could probably good to keep from being frustrated(though I've never had experience with one).