NO Need To Buy HOI 3.....Get Arsenal of Democracy Instead

Started by Josephus, September 08, 2009, 08:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Their success depends on how they simulate strategic bombing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Their success depends on how they simulate naval warfare.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on September 09, 2009, 12:45:30 AM

:yes:

Hopefully they don't take the P'dox stance on navies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: dps on September 08, 2009, 08:10:04 PM
Don't let 'em give you any crap about your home.  Jaron is a troll, so you know his home is a dump (I mean, how well can you fix up the underside of a bridge?) and PDH is an acedemic/egghead type, so he's probably so absent-minded he's lucky if he remembers where his home is.
I remember exactly where my home is - my ex wife has it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HisMajestyBOB

So far from the FAQ thread, we have:
Ships designs are heavily centered around "brigades", thus ships are very customizable (ie., America's Basic Heavy Cruiser will likely be different from Germany's Basic Heavy Cruiser).

Also, retreating ships must increase their distance from the attacker before they retreat.

Both sound pretty good.
They've also improved the AI. If the Japanese AI can somewhat competently take over the Phillippines and Dutch East Indies within a few months, and seek out and attempt to destroy the American fleet at the outset of war, I'd be extremely happy.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josephus

Success depends on how well they simulate naval invasions
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Indeed.  Especially dreadnoughts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on September 09, 2009, 07:08:25 AM
Success depends on how well they simulate naval invasions
Or rather how well they can get the AI to perform them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on September 09, 2009, 08:08:57 AM
Carriers are more important. They're quite useless and always get themselves blown up in vanilla <_<
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2009, 09:22:47 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 09, 2009, 08:08:57 AM
Carriers are more important. They're quite useless and always get themselves blown up in vanilla <_<
By dreadnoughts. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Yeah I had this big battle against the Americans and I lost FOUR CARRIERS as the Japanese.  Like that could ever happen in real life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 10:36:31 AM

Yeah I had this big battle against the Americans and I lost FOUR CARRIERS as the Japanese.  Like that could ever happen in real life.

Were those 4 carriers fighting a group of destroyers and submarines?
As that happens...
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2009, 10:44:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 10:36:31 AM

Were those 4 carriers fighting a group of destroyers and submarines?
As that happens...

:bleeding:  Tyr: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Midway

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2009, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 09, 2009, 10:52:22 AM

:bleeding:  Tyr: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Midway
:huh:
The Americans had carriers too there.

You have missed: Teh Joke.  Obviously, the Japanese losing 4 carriers against the Americans could happen in real life, since it did; Valmy was being sarcastic.