News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Van Jones Resignation

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2009, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

This guy wasn't even vetted properly? Well, at least that explains some and gives the administration some wiggle room, though it's embarrassing to admit that lack of vetting anyway. Jones should have resigned. It wasn't a smear campaign mounted against him, it was his own words, views and what he said he believed in that got the attention leading to this.

I'm with Jaron a bit. From what I've been hearing in the news lately there may be more Czars which will come under similar scrutiny. About 37 Czars, most who do not get approval by Congress, have their own little "fiefdom", with a Federal budget to go with it and accountable only to the President. But even so, if the Czars come to the Congress's attention, or the hapless media even, at least pressure can be brought to bear.

Josquius

Van Jones?
What a weird name...Bizarre mix of Dutch and Welsh.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Who cares whether or not he was vetted?  You'd think the administration would have a little more courage, what with them having to plow through all sorts of anti-American statements made by Obama's friends, mentors and wife, pretty much since the minute Obama became a serious candidate.  If he's the guy you want, stand by him.

You know, that was Bush's most admirable trait:  His loyalty to his friends and allies.  It got him into hot water sometimes, but he came off much better than Obama has.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2009, 07:49:04 AM
Who cares whether or not he was vetted?  You'd think the administration would have a little more courage, what with them having to plow through all sorts of anti-American statements made by Obama's friends, mentors and wife, pretty much since the minute Obama became a serious candidate.  If he's the guy you want, stand by him.

You know, that was Bush's most admirable trait:  His loyalty to his friends and allies.  It got him into hot water sometimes, but he came off much better than Obama has.
Yep, and if this is the guy the Obama admin wants, then they have to face the pressure over it too. They really don't need the hassle though, so they're a bit lucky in this case, since he wasn't vetted. Rather than Obama having to eventually toss the guy under what must now be a very crowded bus. Or keep him and face more and more irritation by voters and Repubs.

Grallon

I can't find the quote now but I read somewhere that people would rather turn on a weak ruler than a harsh one.  If I have one criticism to make against Obama is this will to compromise to the point of compromising.   There's a fringe of conservatives who will do everything in their power to hinder his admisnistration, even when their help could turn a bad situation around.   They see nothing but their narrow world view.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Why would a conservative want Obama to succeed at anything?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Obama's learning curve is pretty steep.  Here is hoping he can get this ship righted soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2009, 08:15:09 AM

They are the ones usually harping endlessly about patriotism.  They were quick enough to label traitors those who questioned some of the very questionable decisions of the Cheney administration.  Yet now, when the welfare of the country is in the balance, some of them go out of their way to cause trouble.  In my mind *they* are the traitors!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on September 08, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
They are the ones usually harping endlessly about patriotism.  They were quick enough to label traitors those who questioned some of the very questionable decisions of the Cheney administration.  Yet now, when the welfare of the country is in the balance, some of them go out of their way to cause trouble.  In my mind *they* are the traitors!

G.

Good. I'd rather them throw up distraction, preventing Obama and co from screwing things up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

The welfare of the country is never and always in the balance.  Besides, why would a conservative be interested in having Obama increase his popularity, and thus run through all sorts of things that would be intolerable to a normal person?

Hansmeister

The only one's who love to throw around the words traitor, treason, unpatriotic, and un-American are the Democrats.  Everytime they're critizised for anything they immediately jump up and scream that they're patriotism is being attacked all the while endlessly accusing the Republicans as being unamerican for having the temerity to disagree with them.  It's the oldest page out of the Democratic playbook.

Hansmeister

Quote from: KRonn on September 08, 2009, 07:42:37 AM
This guy wasn't even vetted properly? Well, at least that explains some and gives the administration some wiggle room, though it's embarrassing to admit that lack of vetting anyway. Jones should have resigned. It wasn't a smear campaign mounted against him, it was his own words, views and what he said he believed in that got the attention leading to this.

The reason he wasn't vetted by the WH was that Michelle Obama and senior WH advisor Valerie Jarrett both knew him well and basically vouched for him.

Razgovory

Hey Hans, what ever happened to Claude Allen?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2009, 05:06:41 PM

Wasn't he in BJ and the Bear?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2009, 05:06:41 PM
As usual you fail at making a point.