News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Eddie Teach, September 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Yes, but only English
13 (19.4%)
Yes, in addition to English(which isn't my native tongue)
18 (26.9%)
Yes, and English is my native tongue
13 (19.4%)
No, English only
22 (32.8%)
No comprendo(the Jaron/IKK option)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 07, 2009, 12:35:20 PM
What if after the last decade in the US my english is better than my native spanish, how should I vote?  :P

In your case, Jaron option.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Dammit, I'm not allowed in Swedish class again this semester so my quest to try and say with full confidenece that I speak Swedish si going nowhere either <_<
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2009, 03:52:03 PM
Other than English, I speak some French and Russian. But English is the only language I speak fluently (shut up!).
Lol, okay Pavel.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 07, 2009, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 07, 2009, 12:35:20 PM
What if after the last decade in the US my english is better than my native spanish, how should I vote?  :P

In your case, Jaron option.  :P
Yo speak spanglish.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 07, 2009, 06:10:21 AM
Not trying to pull a Don'tSayBanana, but the "correct" spelling in pinyin (i.e. modern, standardized Romanization) for Mandarin is "pu tong hua" or "pǔ ​tōng ​huà​" with the tones marked.

My Chinese is still extremely shitty.  However, I find I do have to use it a lot here in Nanjing, since most people (especially store and restaurant staff) usually literally don't speak a word of English, other than "hello" and "bye bye".
I wonder, would it be possible to learn to read Chinese without speaking a word of it?  I.e., just translating "random squiggly bullshit ideogram #82" as "house"?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2009, 03:39:07 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 07, 2009, 06:10:21 AM
Not trying to pull a Don'tSayBanana, but the "correct" spelling in pinyin (i.e. modern, standardized Romanization) for Mandarin is "pu tong hua" or "pǔ ​tōng ​huà​" with the tones marked.

My Chinese is still extremely shitty.  However, I find I do have to use it a lot here in Nanjing, since most people (especially store and restaurant staff) usually literally don't speak a word of English, other than "hello" and "bye bye".
I wonder, would it be possible to learn to read Chinese without speaking a word of it?  I.e., just translating "random squiggly bullshit ideogram #82" as "house"?
I'd imagine so to some level at least.
I still recognise a lot of Japanese kanji but can't remember the pronounciation for many.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Yup, to an extent. In fact, several different Chinese languages use the same written character set.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Maybe I should look into that.  I'm much better at visual symbol recognition than I am spoken language.  Like MB, spoken foreign speak is mostly "bar bar" to me.  Although I was able to understand the countdown in Russian when I watched 2010 last night, and knew what they were saying a few times.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2009, 05:57:53 PM
Although I was able to understand the countdown in Russian when I watched 2010 last night, and knew what they were saying a few times.
Why would you want to understand a language less graceful and more evil than the Black Speech of Mordor?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Neil on September 07, 2009, 06:59:23 PM
Although I was able to understand the countdown in Russian when I watched 2010 last night, and knew what they were saying a few times.
Why would you want to understand a language less graceful and more evil than the Black Speech of Mordor?

'Cause he's an evil Commie.

Monoriu

Of course you can.  But learning Chinese is much more difficult than that  :P  Primarily because you cannot translate "random ideogram #82" as "house".  It is more like when #28 is combined with #74, they  mean "house", but when #28 is used together with #17, they mean "river".

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2009, 07:13:02 PM

Of course you can.  But learning Chinese is much more difficult than that  :P  Primarily because you cannot translate "random ideogram #82" as "house".  It is more like when #28 is combined with #74, they  mean "house", but when #28 is used together with #17, they mean "river".

So it's like math?  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 08, 2009, 12:40:06 AM

So it's like math?  :P

Well, in math, you only have 0, 1, 2....9.  They mean different things when combined in different numbers and fashions. 

In English, you have 26 alphabets.

Chinese is sorta like a language with 3,000+ alphabets. 

Even the Chinese themselves realize how hard it is for their children to learn the language.  Pinyin/romanization is an attempt to change that.  There was once talk to replace the Chinese characters with western style alphabets many decades ago.  But it didn't get very far.  Pinyin now is more like a learning or programming tool. 

swallow

Quote from: Neil on September 07, 2009, 06:59:23 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcIiwmclfvw

Valmy

I used to be.

Not anymore :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."