News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Eddie Teach, September 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Yes, but only English
13 (19.4%)
Yes, in addition to English(which isn't my native tongue)
18 (26.9%)
Yes, and English is my native tongue
13 (19.4%)
No, English only
22 (32.8%)
No comprendo(the Jaron/IKK option)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on September 06, 2009, 01:00:43 AM
English and enough French to find directions, get a meal etc.
This.

Alexandru H.

English, German and an acceptable level in romani (the so-called sinti), aromanian and latin...

The Brain

Fluent (shut up :mad:) in English.

Some German.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Dutch (duh), fluent enough eglish I guess, decent enough french (especially if I get a day to gear up), passable german, can decipher spanish, italian, danish and a bit of swedish if I have a lot of time (but only if written).
I really should make the effort to get those last ones up to at least being able to understand them when spoken  but meh, can't be arsed atm.

Iormlund

Just English other than native Spanish. I used to be fluent in German, but haven't spoken it for 15 years or so. :(

The Larch

Besides Spanish and Galician, my mother tongues, and English, I'm fluent in Italian, can understand Portuguese pretty well, and remember a little bit of French from High School.

Josquius

I too have dabbled in many and mastered none.
It doesn't help that I suck in languages too.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 06, 2009, 12:38:03 AM
Not fluent in anything but English.  But there's a long way between English only and being fluent in something else.

Not when the question is about what languages you're fluent in.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lucidor

My German is pretty good.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I can grok some Beaner and Frog. Fluent? Not a chance.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Native English, and French well enough to conduct detailed business negotiations in that language.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

I learned a significant amount of Latin, Spanish, and Chinese, and I dabbled in French.

The issue I have always run into is the availability of being able to use my language skills enough from them not to deteriorate.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Queequeg

By the end of the year I'll be reasonably fluent in Russian, probably not able to go through all of Onegin without a dictionary but all my classes save Turkish involve a lot of Russian text.  And, obviously, I can speak some Turkish.  And some German.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."