News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languages

Started by Eddie Teach, September 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Yes, but only English
13 (19.4%)
Yes, in addition to English(which isn't my native tongue)
18 (26.9%)
Yes, and English is my native tongue
13 (19.4%)
No, English only
22 (32.8%)
No comprendo(the Jaron/IKK option)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Eddie Teach

Curious how many of you share Sheilbh's passion for languages.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I have a passion for languages but I'm mostly a dilettante.  I've dabbled at various points with Spanish, German, French, Dutch, Latin and Hindi...but no fluency. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

English only.  I learned some French at school and a bit of Spanish when I was in Argentina.  I try and keep them going by reading news and pulp fiction in them both, but really I need a lot more time in either country or organised lessons which I can't afford.
Let's bomb Russia!

Fireblade

I can understand and speak some Spanish. The sad thing is, I can't understand Mexican Spanish (the accent :bleeding: ), but I can understand Honduran Spanish pretty well.

I'm trying to learn Farsi now. It's not going well. I suspect it'll end up like my attempts to study Cherokee, Latin, and French. :P

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2009, 10:01:35 PM
I have a passion for languages but I'm mostly a dilettante.  I've dabbled at various points with Spanish, German, French, Dutch, Latin and Hindi...but no fluency. :blush:

Same. I speak some German, a little bit of Korean, and I used to know a little Russian and Spanish.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

I speak Russian fluently.  Followup questions are not allowed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2009, 10:31:06 PM

Hah.  I could -almost- say Russian; but I wouldn't say I am "fluent".

Working knowledge, maybe.

Capetan Mihali

Can read Spanish and French well, write both OK, speak both poorly, and understand (spoken) both very poorly.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 05, 2009, 11:00:03 PM
Can read Spanish and French well, write both OK, speak both poorly, and understand (spoken) both very poorly.

I'm that way with Spanish too. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

French, english, shitty spanish and even worse italian.

Know a few phrases in gujrati, vietnamese and tagalog, mostly stuff to pickup chicks  :P

DisturbedPervert

Not fluent in anything but English.  But there's a long way between English only and being fluent in something else.

Syt

English and enough French to find directions, get a meal etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2009, 10:39:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2009, 10:31:06 PM

Hah.  I could -almost- say Russian; but I wouldn't say I am "fluent".

Working knowledge, maybe.

The honest truth is I remember about thirty words, including "slon," and I don't think that's even in the top ten thousand most useful words to know in Russian.  I can also remember how to ask "Do you speak English?", which is even less useful, since anyone who would give a positive response would not need to be asked in Russian.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Zoupa on September 06, 2009, 12:25:59 AM
French, english, shitty spanish and even worse italian.

Know a few phrases in gujrati, vietnamese and tagalog, mostly stuff to pickup chicks  :P
Did you talk Vietnamese to Katsumi? :wub:
Kinemalogue

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2009, 01:43:57 AM
I can also remember how to ask "Do you speak English?", which is even less useful, since anyone who would give a positive response would not need to be asked in Russian.

I disagree. Locals are often much more well disposed towards you if you ask them that in their native tongue, as it shows a bit of effort on your side.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.