News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Forever War: A 3D Movie by Ridley Scott (2011)

Started by Syt, September 05, 2009, 09:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307468/

Alright, this has me in attention. I love the book. I loved the Marvano comics. Ridley Scott can do good movies if he wants. The only thing that irks me is that it'll be in 3D.

http://boingboing.net/2008/10/13/ridley-scott-to-adap.html
QuoteRidley Scott to adapt Haldeman's Forever War

Ridley Scott has acquired the film-rights to Joe Haldeman's magnificent, Hugo-award-winning classic science fiction novel, The Forever War. This is one of the great anti-war novels of all time. As I wrote about it in 2003, "I picked up a copy of Joe Haldeman's classic novel The Forever War last night as a gift for a friend, but I'm going to keep it. I got to re-reading it last night (for the first time in nearly 20 years) and couldn't put it down. Haldeman wrote this novel after returning from his tour of duty in Vietnam, and the book made the rounds, getting turned down by publisher after publisher, by editors who recognized the book's merit but questioned the political savvy of publishing a war-novel. Eventually, Joe rewrote one section of the book, softening it, and finally, the book saw print, becoming an instant classic. The new, author's preferred edition restores the original text, and is absolutely timely and engrossing."

Fox 2000 has acquired rights to Joe Haldeman's 1974 novel "The Forever War," and Ridley Scott is planning to make it into his first science fiction film since he delivered back-to-back classics with "Blade Runner" and "Alien."

Scott intended to follow those films with "The Forever War," but rights complications delayed his plans for more than two decades.

The film will be produced by Scott Free. Vince Gerardis and Ralph Vicinanza will exec produce. Their company, Created By, reps Haldeman and spent the last decade trying to get back the rights.

"I first pursued 'Forever War' 25 years ago, and the book has only grown more timely and relevant since," Scott told Daily Variety. "It's a science-fiction epic, a bit of 'The Odyssey' by way of 'Blade Runner,' built upon a brilliant, disorienting premise."

http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-films/339-ridley-scotts-forever-war-to-be-3d-author-joe-haldeman-enthusiastic.html
QuoteRidley Scott's Forever War to be 3D: author Joe Haldeman enthusiastic
Sunday, 19 April 2009 John Howell

forever2We reported earlier that Ridley Scott's next science fiction movie, his first since Blade Runner, will be an adaptation of Joe Haldeman's The Forever War, an action packed novel about the impact of the time dilation effect on soldiers returning from an interstellar war against the mysterious Tauran species.

It appears that The Forever War will also be in 3D, with Scott being inspired by the camera technology James Cameron has developed for his yet to be released science fiction epic Avatar.

"I'm filming a book by Joe Haldeman called Forever War," Ridley Scott recently told a London Convention celebrating Blade Runner Day. "I've got a good writer doing it. I've seen some of James Cameron's work, and I've got to go 3D. It's going to be phenomenal."

The author of The Forever War, Joe Haldeman, recently told SFX magazine that he knew Scott was interested in the book over 20 years ago when the rights were first sold. He became aware of Scott's renewed interest in November 2007.

"They said Ridley was interested in it," he told SFX. "His assistant told me that Ridley Scott wanted to make a movie that was even more exciting than Blade Runner and Alien. That he wanted to do the ultimate science fiction movie. If it's bigger than Alien and Blade Runner I'm honoured to be a part, of course".

Apparently there have been several screenplay drafts written over the years.

"There are versions of The Forever War floating around. I even wrote one. But they want to work with someone who's a proven producer of screenplays. I don't blame them. I've written movies and television stuff, but I'm not known for it."

"When Scott picked up the rights a few months ago, he said 'the book is more relevant now than it ever was.' Because it seems to fit the war in Iraq as well as it did the war in Vietnam. That's kind of creepy. We don't learn do we?"

Scott will start filming The Forever War after he finishes his Robin Hood remake, Nottingham, and The Kind One.

The Forever War, Cameron's Avatar, and Scott's other upcoming science fiction project, Brave New World, will make the next couple of years a fantastic time to be a science fiction movie enthusiast. Imagine what Alien or Blade Runner would have been like if Ridley Scott had had 3D technology to play with at the time?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

I wonder if this is JMS's "mystery project" that he has referred to a couple of times in the last few months.

In any case, good news (except maybe about the 3D bit).  This book has been languishing too long.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

There's nothing wrong with 3D per se. The problem is usually it is used instead of an actual screenplay, instead of enhancing it.

Syt

Quote from: Iormlund on September 05, 2009, 10:04:03 AM
There's nothing wrong with 3D per se. The problem is usually it is used instead of an actual screenplay, instead of enhancing it.

Well, the rapid development of CGI graphics has lead to a flood of moives that put the new visual possibilities into the center and in many cases at the cost of the plot. Therefore I'm always a bit wear about the announcement of effects heavy movies.

This spoof of the "2012" trailer sums it up best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Winkelried

"Black President?!? That's just ridiculous."  :lol:

Darth Wagtaros

I'm not sure this the book to make into a movie.
PDH!

The Brain

They should make the Quran. Quran the Barbarian and Quran the Destroyer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Whats with 3D suddenly coming back recently anyway?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 05, 2009, 11:15:04 AM
I'm not sure this the book to make into a movie.
The shower scene should work pretty well.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on September 05, 2009, 11:22:34 AM
Lots of people are getting excited by James Cameron's 'Avatar'.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

It got cheaper to do. Lots of theatres have 1 or 2 projector that supports it. It's becoming the only difference between home viewing & going to the Cinema.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2009, 12:05:43 PM
It got cheaper to do. Lots of theatres have 1 or 2 projector that supports it. It's becoming the only difference between home viewing & going to the Cinema.

Nah, those tvs that cover a whole wall ain't exactly cheap.

On the plus side, you don't have to have the volume cranked all the way up when you watch at home.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2009, 12:05:43 PM

And they perfected the technology so it doesn't bring on headaches with prolonged viewing.  Within 2 years virtually all movie releases will be in 3D.