British citizen creates national uproar in Quebec

Started by viper37, September 04, 2009, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Grallon actually does speak English, so he gets a pass. At least until Neil takes charge and brutally represses the homos.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 05, 2009, 10:09:39 AM
A pass for what ?

QuoteThey should be given a simple choice: either learn English and behave like a proper Westerner or get shipped off to whatever shithole in France you came from.

Oexmelin

And is that choice a propre reflection of your thoughts or just the usual Languish posturing ?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 05, 2009, 10:21:01 AM
And is that choice a propre reflection of your thoughts or just the usual Languish posturing ?

:lol:

It was Martinus speaking as a caricature of Grallon.

Drakken

Oh noes, someone didn't like his stay in Quebec! Who fucking cares, really? Only Quebecers, and Quebecers whine all the time. It is a national sport.  :rolleyes:

Really, Are Quebecers really that sensitive that when someone expresses his disgust at certain features of our society it because a national tragedy? Because everytime someone diss Quebec for whatever reason, sometimes justified, it becomes a national whinging drama here.

And he does have a point, many elements of the civil service in Quebec are very anti-anglophone. One of my GF's friend is from BC with a degree in nursing, and the MEQ (Quebec's Education department) required her to complete her equvalence in nursing to work here. Perfectly fine until now. However they added the express condition that she took her courses in French, else they said she would't get a dime in subside from the government to pay for it.

Trouble is, she doesn't speak French at all, so she is caught in a conendrum. Because she couldn't find any work in her field here because she needs her equivalence and she had two children to feed, she was forced to receive social welfare. Plus my girlfriend, who speaks French, accompanied her once and heared them talk in very disparaging French words to laugh at her BC friend in plain front of her, as she couldn't understand them. And I remind you again, they were civil servants.

I told her to make a formal complaint to the Ombudsman or even to call the media and make a fuss about it, but instead she prefered to say a big fuck you to your "perfect Quebec society" and return to BC with her children.

No, Quebec is not a perfect society. It is not even a just society. It is an backward, sclerosed society whose French-speaking people compensate their overall mediocrity with self-boasting pretensions of being different and opened to the world, yet so lacking in confidence in themselves that they need to climb the fence everytime someone dares to criticize their beloved land even when it is justified.

Another beautiful example of them being so over-sensitive, that even now that the festivities for the 250th anniversary of the battle of the Plaines d'Abraham have been replaced by some inoffensive "parole mill" in which people from both sides, both languages, and from both spectrums of Quebec's national debate, are there to read texts and poetry - which is pretty innocuous in itself - Quebec City's mayor decided to suddenly boycott the event because he publicly branded the bloke who leads the Mouvement de Résistance du Québec, who said he'd be present as invited guest as head of a small but vocal separatist militant group, as a "violent separatist radical". Okey, the guy and his group are very vehement and outspoken about independence, I agree. But it doesn't take to be Einstein to see that violence has never been part of their rethoric. However, since they are very outspoken and aggressive about their beliefs they are now presented as "violent".

And to add to bullshit, the Quebec Government decided to do the same because some artist was to read the FLQ manifesto. Wat the fuck is wrong with you, people? No one believes in the FLQ anyway except a handful of old militants still sticking to the whole "English is evil" shtick, and it is a fundamental text of our collective history and our struggle with the English elite since the Conquête. But hey, if views we don't agree with are present, even when perfectly outdated, we'll throw the baby with the bath and the water and wringe our hands in public and in the media about it.

I was born here, so it is perfectly my right to tell you Quebecers the plain truth: Your society sucks balls and you need to grow a collective spine.

Admiral Yi

Last time I was in Quebec I thought the customs people were kind of snotty.  But they were also very hot.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Drakken on September 05, 2009, 11:36:20 AM
Oh noes, someone didn't like his stay in Quebec! Who fucking cares, really? Only Quebecers, and Quebecers whine all the time. It is a national sport.  :rolleyes:

That's because these anecdotes serve as fuel for people who want to score political points -- just like Canada's health system is being bandied about in the US to score political points. They are picked and chosen by political informal networks. Though the extant to which we do pick up those anecdotes in Quebec is interesting, a paradoxical desire to exist - and be appreciated - in foreign eyes, akin to what also exists (but is heavily combatted) in the US.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Drakken, tell you friend to learn french or go home.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2009, 12:09:08 PM
Learning a language well enough to get by in everyday conversation is one thing, learning it to the extent that one can succeed in the academic environment of college is another. It takes most people years to learn a language that well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Fuck you. The language of Canada is English. You lost the war. Canada: love it or leave it.

Martinus

Hell, normally jingoism is an alien concept to me, but I think I could be a Canadian nationalist. Especially if it meant hating the Quebecois traitors.

Oexmelin

His point still stands, though. The financing of French courses has taken a drop in recent years and needs to be much more promoted and sustained.