British citizen creates national uproar in Quebec

Started by viper37, September 04, 2009, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2009, 07:20:23 PM

... I was refering to Grallon elequent post earlier in the thread when he was responding to oex by saying he was pissing in the face of the rest of us.

Cant seem to bring myself to respect someone after reading something like that.

This is what I wrote, read carefully this time:

Quote...But then again I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it, if only to piss in the face of our canadian posters' conceits, their nation is based on the denial of ours.  All sorts of convoluted arguments are constantly used to justify said denial.  And nowhere is it more obvious than when it comes to our language laws...

As usual you read only what you wanted to read in order to comfort your own prejudices - like so many others here whenever I write something.  Personally it's bad faith and hypocrisy I can't stomach. 

This btw is no doubt why Oex hasn't bothered wasting his time with a thoughtfull reply: there no sense speaking to people who won't listen; one might as well try to engage a wall in a conversation: deaf, blind, dumb!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Oexmelin

It's not quite that I haven't bothered - if I thought these discussions were completely useless, for me or my interlocutors, I would have dropped them long ago - it's more that I don't have the time right now.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 11, 2009, 09:30:35 AM
It's not quite that I haven't bothered - if I thought these discussions were completely useless, for me or my interlocutors, I would have dropped them long ago - it's more that I don't have the time right now.

When you get the time it would be great if you would provide a response to Garbon's question.  As always I am interested in your view.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on September 11, 2009, 07:14:27 AM
This btw is no doubt why Oex hasn't bothered wasting his time with a thoughtfull reply: there no sense speaking to people who won't listen; one might as well try to engage a wall in a conversation: deaf, blind, dumb!

G.

Someone who was an opponent of your cause would hope that you, and not people like Oex, Rex and GF, spoke for your movement.  Your rhetoric I can easily ignore.  The others are thought provoking and over the years have made me reconsider my views.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2009, 06:13:04 AM
ou si c moi ki l'écris.

:P

How can you advocate French language laws and then refuse to speak French?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2009, 11:16:52 AM
ou si c moi ki l'écris.

Grey Fox secretly longs to be a klingon :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on September 10, 2009, 11:40:09 PM
Et alors?

Vous etes tous plein de liberte d'expression aux STATES, comme dirait Elvis. Fait que t'a pas besoin de t'excuser mon petit schtroumpf.

We only really care about freedom for Americans.  What's a dead junkie have to do with anything?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

G.
Actually I was quite interested in hearing an answer to my question...that's always been the rub for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2009, 11:16:52 AM
ou si c moi ki l'écris.

:lol:

I refuse to use the frozen in time French the Académie deemed to be the French.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2009, 10:53:51 AM

G.

Someone who was an opponent of your cause would hope that you, and not people like Oex, Rex and GF, spoke for your movement.  Your rhetoric I can easily ignore.  The others are thought provoking and over the years have made me reconsider my views.

I like being included with Oex & Rex. Makes me feel...good.  :bowler:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I enjoyed this thread because it really allowed me to see a completely foreign mindset held (apparently) by a significant number of people located not far away.  I have always been fascinated by Canadian issues and views, because it is "the familiar made unfamiliar" - that is, Canadians can seem so much like me, but then sometimes show themselves to be completely unlike me.

I don't take sides in any of this.  I don't have a dog in this fight, though I think I (and many Americans) can learn a lot by observing what Canadians succeed at and fail at (and the reverse is also true) precisely because Americans and Canadians are similar but distinctly different.  I cannot wrap my mind around the concept of "collective rights" and (at least some) Canadians probably cannot wrap their minds around my concept of individual rights, but that makes the mutual explanations more valuable, not less.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2009, 12:10:40 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 10, 2009, 11:40:09 PM
Et alors?

Vous etes tous plein de liberte d'expression aux STATES, comme dirait Elvis. Fait que t'a pas besoin de t'excuser mon petit schtroumpf.

We only really care about freedom for Americans.  What's a dead junkie have to do with anything?

Gratton, pas Presley.

garbon