Friends, foes mark WWII’s beginning in Poland

Started by KRonn, September 01, 2009, 09:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Oh, and I hoped the Pope would attend. At least he can recall some personal experience from the combat.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 10:17:42 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2009, 10:12:37 PM
Looks like Goebbels won after all. 

You can blame the Cold War for the persistence of this story.  Before the Poles emerged from the iron curtain to be flabbergasted by the story we all just assumed it was true.

Actually, you can blame a post war Polish movie by Stanislaw Wajda. He made a highly symbolic/art house movie about WW2, where he put in a scene of cavalry charging the tanks as a sort of metaphor of the new era replacing the old era etc., and this was taken literally.  :lol:

Martinus

One thing I don't get is that Russia is vehemently accusing and Poland is vehemently denying that Polish diplomacy was trying to find some compromise with the nazis against the Soviets pre WW2 and to dismantle the Russo-French alliance.

The way I see it: Polish diplomacy would have needed to be fantastically incompetent not to do this. I mean this was the rational thing to do.  :huh:

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2009, 01:24:36 AM
One thing I don't get is that Russia is vehemently accusing and Poland is vehemently denying that Polish diplomacy was trying to find some compromise with the nazis against the Soviets pre WW2 and to dismantle the Russo-French alliance.

The way I see it: Polish diplomacy would have needed to be fantastically incompetent not to do this. I mean this was the rational thing to do.  :huh:
Yeah, but they can't just admit it.  Most modern regimes in Europe look fondly on Stalinism, whereas Hitler's regime was the worst thing ever.  Europeans can be very stupid sometimes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Yeah, the Jewish Council of Germany issued a statement pretty much saying that it is unacceptable to try and compare Hitler and Stalin.  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2009, 06:37:21 AM
Yeah, the Jewish Council of Germany issued a statement pretty much saying that it is unacceptable to try and compare Hitler and Stalin.  :rolleyes:

One ruthlessly invaded his neighbors and systematically murdered millions and the other was a German.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 07:23:50 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2009, 06:37:21 AM

One ruthlessly invaded his neighbors and systematically murdered millions and the other was a German.

?

One was Georgian and the other was Austrian :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on September 02, 2009, 06:19:54 AM
Yeah, but they can't just admit it.  Most modern regimes in Europe look fondly on Stalinism, whereas Hitler's regime was the worst thing ever.  Europeans can be very stupid sometimes.
:unsure:
Since when?
Stalinism hasn't even been popular with communists since the 50s let alone the political establishment.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2009, 08:47:41 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 02, 2009, 06:19:54 AM
:unsure:
Since when?
Stalinism hasn't even been popular with communists since the 50s let alone the political establishment.

Yeah but most of you fuckers allow the waving-around of red stars and red flags while you dont let nazis do the same with swastikas

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 08:52:21 AM
Yeah but most of you fuckers allow the waving-around of red stars and red flags while you dont let nazis do the same with swastikas

Nazism= 100% total evil
Communism= Spotty. In theory its quite nice. In practice it hasn't always went to nazi level evil.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Nazism= 100% total evil
Communism= Spotty. In theory its quite nice. In practice it hasn't always went to nazi level evil.

Communism in theory is far more horryfing than in practice.

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Nazism= 100% total evil
In theory it's theft, in practice it's evil.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 09:00:00 AM

Communism in theory is far more horryfing than in practice.
:lmfao:
No.
In theory its a perfect society.
Its never going to work of course but taking it purely as it is on paper there's something rather wrong with you if you think its evil.
The only anti-commuism argument with any merit is the standard one against Utopia in the traditional sense; it would be boring.
Perhaps you could make a argument from that that a standard capitalist democratic system is better. We need a bit of suffering and inequality to make life worth living.
But worse than a totalitarian dictatorship?
No.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on September 02, 2009, 09:01:36 AM
In theory it's theft,

Meh. There's no "moral" way to distribute wealth, society just chooses the one that works best.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?