Going on strike means something entirely different in France

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 31, 2009, 05:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 09:39:45 AM
I wouldn't call it "strange." Remember, he's not simply a radical environmentalist, he's most likely a radical lefty on all sorts of issues. Denouncing striking workers is something that would give him great consternation, even when they merit it according to his other principles.

Right that was sort of what we were laughing at.

'It is ok if my political allies destroy the environment.  Remember Capitalism causes pollution.

But...the Soviet Union they...

Shuddup you!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

I think that you're reading way too much into the couple of phrases that are mentioned in the article. He's just saying that society gives a greater value to the environment nowadays. Who knows what he said in the whole interview that the journo is summarizing as "worrying".

And I don't like Greenpeace either.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on September 01, 2009, 09:48:49 AM
I think that you're reading way too much into the couple of phrases that are mentioned in the article. He's just saying that society gives a greater value to the environment nowadays. Who knows what he said in the whole interview that the journo is summarizing as "worrying".

Maybe.

It is rather coincidental.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on September 01, 2009, 09:48:49 AM

And I don't like Greenpeace either.
I agree, people are reading way too much into one statement.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2009, 10:34:37 AM
I agree, people are reading way too much into one statement.

Maybe because it is a stupid statement?  I am pretty sure people would have been upset over 8,000 litres of toxic stuff being dumped into the Seine even 30 years ago.

Yes the environmentalist movement is just a month old dude.

Talk about reaching to find the positive.

Monoriu

The solution is to import a few hundred thousand Chinese lorry drivers, who will happily work for far less.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Yeah, I agree with the guys that say this is terrorism.

To Gitmo with them!

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2009, 08:34:14 PM
The solution is to import a few hundred thousand Chinese lorry drivers, who will happily work for far less.

We tried this with Blacks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Valmy

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2009, 08:34:14 PM
That would lead to French officials being the ones dumped into the river.

DontSayBanana

In my little world, those guys signed their pink slips, since one wouldn't have to worry about employment while inside of a cell, so I think we should applaud them for bringing a decisive conclusion to the standoff. :)
Experience bij!

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 10:16:12 PM
Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2009, 08:41:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2009, 05:56:09 PM
Organized labour and organized crime are one in the same.

Word.

I take it you are a big backer of the Israeli Labor party?

Funny.

I didn't vote in the last israeli elections (being an amerikkkan and all that), but you know perfectly well that Bibi would have gotten my vote.