Going on strike means something entirely different in France

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 31, 2009, 05:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Guardian

French transport workers threaten to pollute river Seine

Angry lorry drivers at struggling transportation company threaten to pour more than 8,000 litres of toxic fuel additive into Parisian river unless their demands for redundancy pay-offs are met

First they kidnapped their bosses; then they threatened to blow up their own factories. Now, in the latest phase of France's summer of discontent, disgruntled workers are turning to environmental blackmail as a stick to beat the management into submission.

Angry lorry drivers at Serta, a struggling transportation company, are threatening to pour more than 8,000 litres of toxic fuel additive into the Seine if their demands for redundancy pay-offs are not met. Acknowledging the "dramatic" effect this could have on the river's fish population, they insist they will not be dissuaded unless their bosses give in.

"It's less dramatic than ... people being made redundant and sacrificed," Jean-Pierre Villemin from the CFDT union told French radio. "It's the only means we have of getting what we want."

Around 50 workers at the distribution site at La Vaupalière near Rouen are demanding severance packages of 15,000 euros after Serta, which went into administration a year ago, announced job cuts. The transportation company, which has suffered badly in the financial crisis, has already cut around 80 jobs since the start of the year.

Their threat to flood with the harmful substance their on-site drainage system - designed to channel rainwater back into the Seine - is the latest tactic used by workers desperate to draw attention to their plight.

Last month, workers at New Fabris, a bankrupt car parts plant, and at Nortel, an insolvent telecommunications company, vowed to explode gas cylinders at their factories if requests for improved severance package were not met. Both threats have since been lifted.

These actions, decried as media stunts by their critics, followed a springtime spate of so-called "boss-nappings" across France in which business executives were taken hostage by their bellicose employees. Such episodes are familiar features in the country's sociopolitical landscape and received more attention abroad than they did at home.

The more recent threats of environmental damage, however, are more unusual.

It may be that the Serta drivers are seeking to recreate the success of an infamous workers' campaign nine years ago in which workers at the Cellatex textile plant poured thousands of litres of sulphuric acid into the river Meuse. They were rewarded by management with a year-long redundancy package of 80% of their salary.

"The workers ... do not want to leave with the frankly pathetic minimum legal compensation," said Villemin, who has been on strike with the workers since last week. "If we do not obtain decent pay-offs we will unfortunately be reduced to opening the [fuel] drums and pour the contents into the sewers."

Antoine Faucher, campaign director of Greenpeace France, said the threats, though worrying, were in fact a reflection of growing concern for the environment. "It's significant because today, perhaps unlike previous years, the environment is recognised in itself as a resource," he said. "To take it hostage may be of greater value now than it was before."

It's a trend recently. Kidnapping, terrorism, sabotage. WTF, that's not a strike, it's a revolution. A strike is just not working. It's passive. This is something else. The Terrors 2009(R).
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Organized labour and organized crime are one in the same.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Josephus

Revolution is in their blood.
So is striking.

Got to hand it to them. Nobody really gives a shit when you go on strike, but polluting the Seine? Now they're talking.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Send in Rainbow Six to destroy the environmental terrorists.
PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

The Larch

That's nothing new in France. You should have seen the farmer protests of the 80s against Spanish products.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

anti-terror laws should be applied to those kind of 'strikes'. The faces of these people would be worth gold when they realise that.

Martinus

The comment from the Greenpeace guy is utterly outrageous.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2009, 01:47:42 AM
The comment from the Greenpeace guy is utterly outrageous.

:huh:
Um, not really at all.  He is actually quite right.

And I generally have disdain for Greenpeace.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 01, 2009, 03:31:42 AM
:huh:
Um, not really at all.  He is actually quite right.

And I generally have disdain for Greenpeace.

It sounds like he's partially excusing the threat, though that may just be because of the way the journalist presented his remark.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 05:10:15 AM

It sounds like he's partially excusing the threat, though that may just be because of the way the journalist presented his remark.

[Gerry Adams]I canna' condone environmental terrorism, but the dead fishes had it coming[/Gerry Adams]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2009, 06:31:38 PM
I thought polluting rivers was what the businesses do.

Businesses do not want unfair competition I guess.