Trial by Fire - a case of death penalty in Texas

Started by viper37, August 31, 2009, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2009, 11:10:53 PM
Did anyone see the AC360 tonight?  Willingham's defense attorney was arguing (and in extremely obnoxious and rude tone) that his defendant was guilty, and that's what he always thought.  With defense lawyers like that, who needs prosecutors?  WTF is going on in Texas?

I saw that. His basic argument was that he and a buddy poured lighter fluid on a patch of carpet and set it alight. The pattern looked like that on the carpet of Willingham's house. He also said the expert witnesses couldn't state what the cause of the fire was and were motivated by anti-death penalty sentiment.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: citizen k on October 15, 2009, 11:55:08 PM
I saw that. His basic argument was that he and a buddy poured lighter fluid on a patch of carpet and set it alight. The pattern looked like that on the carpet of Willingham's house. He also said the expert witnesses couldn't state what the cause of the fire was and were motivated by anti-death penalty sentiment.

Only in Texas would the lawyer claim to be more of an expert than his expert witness. :rolleyes:
Experience bij!

Queequeg

Can anyone post a link to the video?

Among the saddest stories I've read recently. While I understand the article may be slanted, but the "killer" sounded like a reasonably decent guy who became....weirdly saintly in prison.  I guess that can put things in perspective sometimes.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Here's the link to the article with the link.  The lawyer should be disbarred just for humiliating his whole field with his completely childish behavior and manner, if nothing else.

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/9480/todd-willinghams-defense-lawyer-embarrasses-texas-justice-system-on-national-tv-juror-has-doubts

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2009, 02:24:28 AM
Here's the link ...

Thanks. I've been checking the CNN website to see if I could find at least a transcript without any luck.

Malthus

God help you if you are tried in Texas, I guess.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 08:49:39 AM

There was an article on Languish before about someone being convicted of murder based on crappy arson "science". It seems like the science of arson investigation wasn't much of a science at all for a long time, while it was presented as such at trial.

Which is a bit worrisome - people get on the stand and testify as if they are *certain* of the answer to some "expert" question - but how often is anything EVER certain when it comes to science? Especially with this arson stuff.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

We have a long and proud tradition of hanging judges and drunkard lawyers.

But seriously the vast majority of them are just fine but the way the judges and other judicial officals are selected (by vote by an apathetic public) creates tons of problems.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2009, 08:54:06 AM

There was an article on Languish before about someone being convicted of murder based on crappy arson "science". It seems like the science of arson investigation wasn't much of a science at all for a long time, while it was presented as such at trial.

That case is very, very sad, and becoming a major thorn in Rick Perry's side--as it should be.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 08:59:05 AM
That case is very, very sad, and becoming a major thorn in Rick Perry's side--as it should be.

I am already celebrating Senator Hutchison's inevitable triumph.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Which is a bit worrisome - people get on the stand and testify as if they are *certain* of the answer to some "expert" question - but how often is anything EVER certain when it comes to science? Especially with this arson stuff.

There is a procedure developing to challenge the admissibility of so-called "expert" evidence for exactly this reason:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daubert_standard

Yes, this is a US standard, but Canada has to an extent imported it. 

The problem: "expert" evidence is highly persuasive to "non-experts" (hey, which of you on the jury or sitting in the judges' bench claims to know better than a *scientist*, with the white lab coat and all?), while at the same time real science is often hedged with qualifications and doubt, particularly on the cutting edge; so "science-y" pseudo-science is very often highly persuasive (is seemingly simple and claims a single result unhedged with doubts) - often more so, to the layperson, than *real* science.

Just picture it on the stand. One "expert" is saying he's sure the guy did it, and has an impressive report to prove it. The other"expert" has doubts; his report looks just as impressive as the first guy's but he is rarely absolutely certain of anything ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

What I still don't get is why this is all the more tragic because it is a DP case.

The guy being tossed in prison for the rest of his life as a result of shitty representation, procedures, and bad arson "science" is just as horrible, yet nobody cares, even though it probably happens a LOT more than someone being put to death who should not be.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2009, 09:07:10 AM
What I still don't get is why this is all the more tragic because it is a DP case.

The guy being tossed in prison for the rest of his life as a result of shitty representation, procedures, and bad arson "science" is just as horrible, yet nobody cares, even though it probably happens a LOT more than someone being put to death who should not be.

It's a question of endings. The case of the guy tossed in prision for life is pretty well as horrible, when he dies in prision. Up to that time, there is always the chance that someone will get interested in his case, demonstrate his innocence, and get him released. Presumably if his imprisionment was the result of culpable negligence by the athourities, he could even be compensated (to the extent you can do that with money) for his damages.

When the guy is dead no such restitution is possible.

The Minsky Moment

That's a problem, but the problem in these cases went much deeper than that.  It wasn't that exaggerated claims were being made about the reliability or certainty of a scientific method; what appears to have happened is that no scientific inquiry was made at all - rather the examiner came in with a pre-ordained conclusion and simply assembled various random "facts" that could be used to support that conclusion and packaged them together in an "expert report."
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson