News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sir Alan Turing?

Started by Viking, August 31, 2009, 03:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8226509.stm

I say yes. This man must be one of the top 5 most important men to the Allied cause during World War 2.

QuoteThousands call for Turing apology

Thousands of people have signed a Downing Street petition calling for a posthumous government apology to World War II code breaker Alan Turing.

Writer Ian McEwan has just backed the campaign, which already has the support of scientist Richard Dawkins.

In 1952 Turing was prosecuted under the gross indecency act after admitting to a sexual relationship with a man. Two years later he killed himself.

The petition was the idea of computer scientist John Graham-Cumming.

He is seeking an apology for the way the young mathematician was treated after his conviction. He has also written to the Queen to ask for a posthumous knighthood to be awarded to the British mathematician.

Alan Turing was given experimental chemical castration as a "treatment" and his security privileges were removed, meaning he could not continue work for the UK Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ).

"This added insult and humiliation ultimately drove him to suicide," said gay-rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, who also backs the campaign. "With Turing's death, Britain and the world lost one of its finest intellectual minds. A government apology and posthumous pardon are long overdue."

National legacy

Alan Turing is most famous for his code-breaking work at Bletchley Park during WWII, helping to create the Bombe that cracked messages enciphered with the German Enigma machines.

However he also made significant contributions to the emerging fields of artificial intelligence and computing.

In 1936 he established the conceptual and philosophical basis for the rise of computers in a seminal paper called "On Computable Numbers", whilst in 1950 he devised a test to measure the intelligence of a machine. Today it is known as the Turing Test.

After the war he worked at many institutions including the University of Manchester, where he worked on the Manchester Mark 1, one of the first recognisable modern computers.

There is a memorial statue of him in Manchester's Sackville Gardens which was unveiled in 2001.

"I kept reading about potential funding cuts at Bletchley Park and I suddenly felt really mad about it," said Mr Graham-Cumming.

"I felt Turing was getting overlooked as being a British genius and that there was a blindspot in the public eye about an important man."

He has so far collected more than 5,500 signatures.

He admits that an official apology to Alan Turing is "unlikely", as Mr Turing has no known surviving family, but he says that the real aim of the petition is symbolic.

"The most important thing to me is that people hear about Alan Turing and realise his incredible impact on the modern world, and how terrible the impact of prejudice was on him," he said.

Give him a knighthood and Hitler loses AGAIN.

This is not a ghey thread. I refuse Martinus the right to gheyjack this thread.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2009, 03:22:56 PM
You said jack. ^_^

That settles it, you fail the Turing test, you are a bot.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

All gay news websites are reporting this so this is GHEY.  :bowler:

Neil

No.  Just because someone does their country a service doesn't mean they get a free pass later on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2009, 03:20:00 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8226509.stm

I say yes. This man must be one of the top 5 most important men to the Allied cause during World War 2.

[snip]

Give him a knighthood and Hitler loses AGAIN.

This is not a ghey thread. I refuse Martinus the right to gheyjack this thread.

Considering the Turing test is most widely remembered in the realm of artificial intelligence, I'd say it's debatable that "this is not a ghey thread." It already has Timmay-taint, at the very least. ;)
Experience bij!

DGuller

Turing's death should teach us that you can't help those who don't want to be helped, you'll only drive them to suicide that way.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on August 31, 2009, 03:27:47 PM
Turing's death should teach us that you can't help those who don't want to be helped, you'll only drive them to suicide that way.
Ass.  :lol:

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on August 31, 2009, 03:27:47 PM
Yay?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 31, 2009, 03:24:35 PM

meh... gay news websites only report sports when a catcher is seen blowing the pitcher.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2009, 03:31:34 PM

meh... gay news websites only report sports when a catcher is seen blowing the pitcher.

Not true. The gay games last month got a wide coverage. :P

Barrister

I have to say that I am not a fan of apologizing for things that occurred in the distant past.  It's a matter for historians, not current governments.

Now as a person with an interest in history let me say it's tragic what happened to Turing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 03:36:03 PM
I have to say that I am not a fan of apologizing for things that occurred in the distant past.  It's a matter for historians, not current governments.

Now as a person with an interest in history let me say it's tragic what happened to Turing.

I wouldn't call something that happened within the living memory the "distant past", though.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 31, 2009, 03:35:42 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2009, 03:31:34 PM

Not true. The gay games last month got a wide coverage. :P

Thats not the kind of pitcher and catcher I was talking about.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on August 31, 2009, 03:39:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 03:36:03 PM

I wouldn't call something that happened within the living memory the "distant past", though.

It was 55 years ago.  Whether you want to call it "distant" or not, it was a long time ago.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.