News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Lockerbie Bomber and revenge

Started by Siege, August 25, 2009, 12:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2009, 10:47:42 AM
It always annoys me when revenge is regarded to as a completely irrational action.  To me, revenge is a very rational reaction on a social level.  It lets people know that if they wrong someone badly enough, they would invite great wrath unto themselves, so great that it would be self-destructive for the person carrying out the revenge.  That terrorizing prospect tends to deter people from acting in a way that provokes revenge in the first place.

I totally agree. Thanks for putting into words what I was trying to say.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jaron

Quote from: Grallon on August 25, 2009, 10:18:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 08:46:20 AM
One of our legal system primarily functions to prevent the sort of revenge-cycles and blood fueds that have dominated world history, by providing a civilized fair system that people agree to.

An eye for an eye...  so archaic... so middle-eastern!

G.

Oh nigga really? Aren't you the one always crying out for revenge against the Middle Easterns?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Actually, all criminals should be executed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2009, 07:56:43 PM

Even people who commit victimless crimes ?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on August 25, 2009, 08:30:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2009, 07:56:43 PM

Even people who commit victimless crimes ?
There is no such thing as a victimless crimes.  Of course, there are somethings that are crimes that shouldn't be, and there are some things that aren't crimes that should be.  Nevertheless, execution is necessary to ensure public order.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

Quote from: Zanza on August 25, 2009, 01:59:45 PM
The recidivism rate among released murderers is much lower than that of petty criminals. So why do you think that it we have a better chance to reeducate petty criminals than murderers? Maybe we should execute all shoplifters (very likely to reoffend) but try to reeducate the murderers?  :P

Numbers: http://www.cor.state.pa.us/stats/lib/stats/BJS%20Recidivism%20Study.pdf

Of course it is lower among released murderers. Most murderers that get released committed their crimes against a specific person or for a reason created by specific circumstances. The particular person is now dead and those circumstances may never align again to create that particular reason leading to another murder e.g. my wife makes me so angry I lose it and kill her or I blow through a stop sign and crush someone in the crosswalk. Those murderers that engage in multiple killings will never be released so do not factor into the equation. Drug dealers, users, robbers, etc, and so forth are engaging in a lifestyle of their choosing that they will ultimately return to upon release especially if societal retribution isn't that great.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

Grallon

Quote from: Jaron on August 25, 2009, 07:27:37 PM

Aren't you the one always crying out for revenge against the Middle Easterns?

Not revenge, sanitation.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.