News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Lockerbie Bomber and revenge

Started by Siege, August 25, 2009, 12:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: KirkKHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: KirkKHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

Quote from: Khan

No. No, you can't get away. From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I think Western democracies should learn some game theory.  Tit for tat, with an occasional but rare act of forgiveness, is the most effective method of discouraging actions detrimental to society.

The Minsky Moment

The premise is not entirely accurate because retibution is one of the accepted purposes of criminal punishment in Western legal systems.  It simply is not the sole purpose.  But it is there, if for no other reason than to recognize the reality of its emotional pull and therefore to safeguard the perceived legitimacy of the criminal justice system.

Even the most crude forms of criminal justice start from the assumption that although retribution needs to be recognized as a basic human impulse, a fundamental purpose of any system of justice is to control and limit that impulse.  Placing some kind of basic regulation and control on the retributive impulse is a pre-requisite to maintaining any kind of organized society. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2009, 09:29:29 AM
I think Western democracies should learn some game theory.  Tit for tat, with an occasional but rare act of forgiveness, is the most effective method of discouraging actions detrimental to society.

That is a deterrence rationale, not retribution.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

I really don't understand.

Why is revenge seen as a bad thing?

I don't mean revenge by the individual, of course. I agree the State should have monopoly on violence. What I am asking is why society at large sees revenge, as in punishment for criminal actions, as something negative. Punishment proportional to the crime committed, of course.

In my mind, reeducation is morally acceptable only for petty criminals.
A murderer should be punished to the maximum any given country's laws allow to, and not waste our time thinking of the reeducation of this murderer. That's what I mean by revenge. "You are a convicted killer, and so we will kill you or put you in jail for the rest of your life without possibility of parole (or whatever you call it)".

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 25, 2009, 09:48:01 AM

That is a deterrence rationale, not retribution.
Isn't deterrence one of the goals of the legal system?

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 08:46:20 AM
One of our legal system primarily functions to prevent the sort of revenge-cycles and blood fueds that have dominated world history, by providing a civilized fair system that people agree to.

An eye for an eye...  so archaic... so middle-eastern!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2009, 10:07:19 AM
Isn't deterrence one of the goals of the legal system?

It used to be a major goal of the legal system but that has changed. The legal system is less able to deter behavior because it has reduced the retribution that society seeks for criminal and deviant behavior. Alternatives to punishment and retribution is the new "in" thing. Instead of "punishing" individuals the legal system now identifies the problem, offers education/counseling, and provides the individual with a second chance (or third, fourth, fifth).

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

ulmont

Tit for tat with misunderstandings has a rather obvious failure mode.

Slargos

Revenge is not a valid motive.

Revenge does not set anything right and doesn't bring the dead back to life.

Punishment. Punishment is a valid motive. Bringing a cosmic balance back in order.

The proper punishment for the bomber is death.

DGuller

Quote from: ulmont on August 25, 2009, 10:32:49 AM

Tit for tat with misunderstandings has a rather obvious failure mode.
The random act of forgiveness would take care of it.

DGuller

It always annoys me when revenge is regarded to as a completely irrational action.  To me, revenge is a very rational reaction on a social level.  It lets people know that if they wrong someone badly enough, they would invite great wrath unto themselves, so great that it would be self-destructive for the person carrying out the revenge.  That terrorizing prospect tends to deter people from acting in a way that provokes revenge in the first place.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Siege on August 25, 2009, 10:01:21 AM
I really don't understand.

Why is revenge seen as a bad thing?

I don't mean revenge by the individual, of course. I agree the State should have monopoly on violence. What I am asking is why society at large sees revenge, as in punishment for criminal actions, as something negative. Punishment proportional to the crime committed, of course.

In my mind, reeducation is morally acceptable only for petty criminals.
A murderer should be punished to the maximum any given country's laws allow to, and not waste our time thinking of the reeducation of this murderer. That's what I mean by revenge. "You are a convicted killer, and so we will kill you or put you in jail for the rest of your life without possibility of parole (or whatever you call it)".

Because it is not enlightened & it doesn't work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Strix

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2009, 10:48:37 AM
Because it is not enlightened & it doesn't work.

It can be unenlightened but than again so isn't the behavior that is being punished.

And it does work, there is no single greater individual deterrent against repeat offenders than the death penalty with incarceration a close second.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher