News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going off to College

Started by Lettow77, August 23, 2009, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2009, 03:40:47 PMWhy?  :huh:

I found intro geology to be really interesting.  It's really just a really big history class - the history of the earth.  But it was the 2nd and 3rd year classes that nearly killed me, spending hours staring down a microscope at mineral samples.  Optical Mineralogy FTL. :(
Because I took a couple of geology electives, all with the same professor, who I got to know fairly well and who was doing fascinating work studying the ice sheets in Antarctica.  His name is Dave Marchant and I think he's a well-known global warming guy.  He always took a bunch of his students (including undergrads) with him to Amundsen-Scott Station every year.

I know that sounds like a silly reason but hey, there you go.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2009, 07:39:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2009, 03:40:47 PMWhy?  :huh:

I found intro geology to be really interesting.  It's really just a really big history class - the history of the earth.  But it was the 2nd and 3rd year classes that nearly killed me, spending hours staring down a microscope at mineral samples.  Optical Mineralogy FTL. :(
Because I took a couple of geology electives, all with the same professor, who I got to know fairly well and who was doing fascinating work studying the ice sheets in Antarctica.  His name is Dave Marchant and I think he's a well-known global warming guy.  He always took a bunch of his students (including undergrads) with him to Amundsen-Scott Station every year.

I know that sounds like a silly reason but hey, there you go.

Well, okay.

But the serious study of geology involves a lot of deep study of rocks and minerals.  I remember the "black rock and white rock" test, where you were given about 10 white rocks in a row and had to identify them, followed by 10 black rocks.

:bleeding:

I am terrible at rote memorization, and that stuff killed me.  I'm great with concepts and understanding, but ask me the chemical composition of galena?  No way.

(Galena is actually easy and I do remember it even now - everything else was hard)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 23, 2009, 11:59:48 AM
Quote from: PDH on August 23, 2009, 11:22:57 AM
History is a poor choice for any career except one that has short sleeved button shirts and the saying "would you like fries with that?"

Barnes and Nobles always needs clerks.

:w00t:

I have a degree in history and worked at a Borders! I've lived up to my potential at last!! :yeah:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: callmeclemens on August 23, 2009, 04:40:18 PM
Marksmanship isn't that ridiculous, I had gone to school at a university in West Virginia that offered Water polo and basket weaving as courses.

I think most schools offer basket weaving or the like (gotta keep the football players academically eligible somehow) but water polo?  What school was that?  I mean, I can see it as an extracurricular activiity, but as a course?

Valmy

Hey I am going to college this year to.

My classes:

Intro to Electrical Engineering
Working full time

This is going to be a long degree  :P

Marksmanship sounds like a fun Physical Education elective to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on August 23, 2009, 03:32:30 PM
:yes:

Of course he will. It's college. If you can't be extreme in college than where can you?!?

No kidding.  If I was Lettow's TA or prof I would be happy he was at least knowledgable and interested in the material.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

I once considered taking Chinese language as an elective when I was in university in Canada.  Until I heard that the prof made life 10x hard for native Chinese speakers. 

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2009, 11:08:34 PM
Marksmanship sounds like a fun Physical Education elective to me.

Most schools require you to take a number of electives outside of your major/minor.  My advice is to take the ones you find interesting, since by defination, they aren't courses that are supposed to be relevant to your field(s).

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 23, 2009, 11:25:45 PM
I once considered taking Chinese language as an elective when I was in university in Canada.  Until I heard that the prof made life 10x hard for native Chinese speakers. 

Maybe I should have tried for English as a Second Language.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 23, 2009, 10:06:12 PM
I have a degree in history and worked at a Borders! I've lived up to my potential at last!! :yeah:

Damn I have a degree in history and I never worked at any book stores :(

Monoriu

Quote from: Strix on August 23, 2009, 03:32:30 PM

Of course he will. It's college. If you can't be extreme in college than where can you?!?

In your dreams. 

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2009, 11:46:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 23, 2009, 10:06:12 PM

Damn I have a degree in history and I never worked at any book stores :(

I have an English degree and worked in a book store.  :yeah:

saskganesh

... I've never worked retail.
humans were created in their own image

Grey Fox

Valmy, how intro is the class? Basic V = I*R stuff or more advanced?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2009, 11:09:56 PM
No kidding.  If I was Lettow's TA or prof I would be happy he was at least knowledgable and interested in the material.
Oh God, no.
Fanbois are the worst...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM