Dalai Lama denied visa for South Africa peace conference

Started by Savonarola, March 23, 2009, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

It's good to see South Africa has their priorities straight :)

QuoteDalai Lama denied visa for South Africa peace conferenceStory Highlights
Spokesman: "Not in South Africa's interest for him (Dalai Lama) to attend"

South Africa says it is worried focus will switch away from 2010 World Cup

It added South Africa has gained much from its trading relationship with China

Fellow laureate Desmond Tutu said he would boycott the conference

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (CNN) -- South Africa has refused the Dalai Lama a visa to attend an international peace conference in Johannesburg this week, a presidential spokesman said.

The Dalai Lama fled China in 1959 after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

The Tibetan spiritual leader and Nobel Laureate did not receive a visa because it was not in South Africa's interest for him to attend, said Thabo Masebe.

South Africa thinks that, if the Dalai Lama attended the conference, the focus would shift away from the 2010 World Cup -- the global soccer championship it will host next year.

"We cannot allow focus to shift to China and Tibet," Masebe said, adding that South Africa has gained much from its trading relationship with China.

The Dalai Lama's fellow laureate, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, said he would boycott the event.

Former president F.W. De Klerk, another laureate, backed Tutu, saying in a statement that he would also not participate in the conference if the Dalai Lama remained excluded.

De Klerk said that the decision to refuse the visa made a "mockery" of the peace conference.

"The decision to exclude the Dalai Lama is irreconcilable with key principles on which our society is based including the principles of accountability, openness and responsiveness and the rights to freedom of expression and free political activity," he said.

"South Africa is a sovereign constitutional democracy and should not allow other countries to dictate to it regarding who it should, and should not admit to its territory - regardless of the power and influence of the country."

A representative of the Dalai Lama said he was not surprised by the decision. The Tibetan government in exile thinks that China has pressured many countries to refuse a visit by the Dalai Lama, according to Chhime Chhoekyapa, an aide in Dharamsala, India.

The Dalai Lama fled China in 1959 after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

The peace conference was billed as an opportunity to showcase South Africa's role as a human-rights champion ahead of its hosting of soccer's World Cup next year.

It was to bring together Noble Laureates and top soccer officials. In addition to Tutu and De Klerk, laureates Nelson Mandela and Martti Ahtisaar, Sepp Blatter, president of soccer's international governing body, and actress Charlize Theron were invited to attend. The event had the blessing of the Nobel Committee.

I assume that South Africa doesn't want to upset their trading partner, China; but the stated reason amuses me.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DisturbedPervert

Former president F.W. De Klerk, another laureate, backed Tutu, saying in a statement that he would also not participate in the conference if the Dalai Lama remained excluded.

De Klerk said that the decision to refuse the visa made a "mockery" of the peace conference.

"The decision to exclude the Dalai Lama is irreconcilable with key principles on which our society is based including the principles of accountability, openness and responsiveness and the rights to freedom of expression and free political activity," he said.

"South Africa is a sovereign constitutional democracy and should not allow other countries to dictate to it regarding who it should, and should not admit to its territory - regardless of the power and influence of the country."

8)

If only he could be president again.  Especially considering the man next in line in the ANC is Jacob Zuma, a rapist who knowingly fucks HIV positive women without a condom.

He should make his 'last trek' to Perth along with the rest of his people.

Savonarola

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 23, 2009, 01:56:48 PM

8)

If only he could be president again.  Especially considering the man next in line in the ANC is Jacob Zuma, a rapist who knowingly fucks HIV positive women without a condom.

Zuma is quite a piece of work.  NPR once had on a recording of a press conference where he broke out into a stirring rendition of his personal anthem "My Machine Gun."  The lyrics to this anthem are something we can all identify with:

My machine my machine Gun
Please bring my machine gun
My machine gun my machine gun
You're pulling me back
My machine gun, Please bring my machine gun

Maybe it loses something in translation.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

I can only hope that after awhile African democracies will normalize.  The struggle against colonialism and racism seems to have made heroes of some incredibly insane and dangerous characters.  Eventually a new generation will actually have to show competency and sanity at governing in order to gain support.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

Quote from: Savonarola on March 23, 2009, 02:05:25 PM
Zuma is quite a piece of work.  NPR once had on a recording of a press conference where he broke out into a stirring rendition of his personal anthem "My Machine Gun."  The lyrics to this anthem are something we can all identify with:

My machine my machine Gun
You're pulling me back
My machine gun, Please bring my machine gun

Maybe it loses something in translation.

:D :D :D :D :D
and the horse you rode in on

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2009, 02:09:06 PM

I can only hope that after awhile African democracies will normalize.  The struggle against colonialism and racism seems to have made heroes of some incredibly insane and dangerous characters.  Eventually a new generation will actually have to show competency and sanity at governing in order to gain support.
I rather doubt it.  When Europe shot itself in the head, it ended hope for Africa to ever develop to anything more than a collection of warring tribes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

The ironic part is that by refusing the Dalai Lama's visa, they most likely attracted more attention to Tibet.
Experience bij!

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on March 23, 2009, 12:30:08 PM
I assume that South Africa doesn't want to upset their trading partner, China; but the stated reason amuses me.

Yeah, I find the idea that the focus of the peace conference is going to be the World Cup rather odd.

Sheilbh

Especially considering the man next in line in the ANC is Jacob Zuma, a rapist who knowingly fucks HIV positive women without a condom.
Zuma's not a shoo-in yet.  There's still a lot of ANC people who dislike him and, apparently, the interim President's been very impressive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

One thing's for certain; the ANC has proven beyond a doubt that absolute majorities are not a good thing for transparency and democracy.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2009, 02:38:25 AM
Especially considering the man next in line in the ANC is Jacob Zuma, a rapist who knowingly fucks HIV positive women without a condom.
Zuma's not a shoo-in yet.  There's still a lot of ANC people who dislike him and, apparently, the interim President's been very impressive.
I guess the only positive of his victory would be Europe getting an influx of hot South African gay men, seeing how apparently he said he will slay them.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Norgy on March 24, 2009, 03:27:04 AM
One thing's for certain; the ANC has proven beyond a doubt that absolute majorities are not a good thing for transparency and democracy.
Yeah.  I mean hopefully any further splits that happen (I believe there's already a split led by Mbeki-ists, so 5 people) happen around factions or around ideology rather than tribe.  One of the reasons Zuma was chosen was because he's Zulu and both Mbeki and Mandela were Xhosa. 

QuoteI guess the only positive of his victory would be Europe getting an influx of hot South African gay men, seeing how apparently he said he will slay them.
I don't think he can.  It would be unconstitutional in South Africa to only slay gays, their constitution is possibly the only and certainly the first to ban discrimination on grounds of sexuality.  They've since allowed gay marriage, lowered the age of consent (to 16) and so on.  The vidw of the ANC has always been that if they support liberal laws, which many think they should, then they will, eventually shape culture in what's still a fairly homophobic society.

Though I hear Cape Town's gay scene is terrific.

Edit: And looking it up Johannesburg pride had 35 000 attendees last year.

Do you have a source for that by the way, I've not heard it before?
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2009, 01:52:34 PM
I don't think he can.  It would be unconstitutional in South Africa to only slay gays, their constitution is possibly the only and certainly the first to ban discrimination on grounds of sexuality.
Yeah, because the rule of law is something you can count on in Africa.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.